I'm Becoming a Girl - Part II - Small Appliances

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

WiseNLucky

I'm Becoming a Girl - Part II - Small Appliances

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 02 May, 2010 09:02 am

I recently purchased a Bosch Kitchen Machine to go along with my KitchenAid Professional 600 Mixer and Cuisinart Limited Edition Metal Food Processor. I have a Mil-Rite Grain and Seed Mill on order, but it takes forever to get things from Retsel, the manufacturer. I expect it to come soon.

What other kitchen appliances do you love? I know I need to get a "real" blender but quickly bought something when ours went out last year. The one I bought is functional for my morning protein shakes, but it's nothing special.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Sun 02 May, 2010 10:43 am

WiseGuy, you need to come be my neighbor so I can borrow all your fun toys. I promise I'll return them....

Didn't Jeff get a Magic Bullet a while back? Does that have the capacity you're looking for? And do you have an immersion blender? Because by golly, I have one and I LOVE it. My potato soups are now awesomely creamy.

I have heard rumors of an expensive blender that can cook soup and grind wheat, but I have no details.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 03 May, 2010 08:13 am

Second on the immersion blender. I don't use mine that often, but when I need it, it's the perfect tool for the job. Mostly mine gets used to liquify strawberries when making ice cream. MMmmm! WnL, did you ever get the ice cream maker attachment for your Kitchen Aid? What have you made with it?

Back on the subject, I got an electric kettle for a birthday present this year, and I just can't stop using it. I didn't know how often I wanted boiling water RIGHT NOW! I can't help you much on brands there, mine's an El Cheapo, but it makes water hot, and that's about all I need out of it.

I've found that the most handy thing in my kitchen are plastic cutting boards that fit inside my dishwasher. I've got one that's too big to fit the dishwasher, so it never gets used, but the small ones, those are used daily. I know what you're going to say. "Wood... butcher block.... etc". But those things have to be hand washed, and if there's one chore around the house that everyone hates to do, and happens as infrequently as possible, it's hand washing dishes. But the dishwasher, for us, is a daily thing. So, small to large-ish but still fit in the dishwasher, is a necessity for us.

Also I got a coffee grinder to use as a spice grinder, but in all honesty, that thing has sat in it's box in a cabinet for about a year now. It's all well and good to know you should buy your spices whole, and grind them as needed, but in reality, that does not fit my life right now. Shoot, things are so busy around here, lately cooking doesn't fit in my life. :S Oh! But! What I always have time for is my microplane. That's about the only "whole spice" I cannot live without, nutmeg, and having a little microplane around, to shave off some whenever, into whatever, is super awesome.

On the subject of heat resistant, I bought a few years ago some Orca gloves, and I cannot function without those anymore. They're heat resistent up to like 500 degrees or something crazy like that. I've stuck my hand into boiling water with those, and onto a hot grill, no problem. They're nice and large, so on my short self, they almost go up to my elbow, which is good, because I have burnt my wrists or the side of my hands many times with smaller "pot holders". And when they get a little grungy, no problem, throw them in the dishwasher, and then next day they look like new. Seriously, I bought mine at least 6 years ago, they get used daily and they look like new. Not a scratch, not a discoloration, nada. ORCA. Accept no substitutes.

OXO makes not only fabulous, accurate measuring cups that I adore. But also some heat resistant spatulas that I just love. I never worry about them 1) scratching my cookware or 2) melting, even if I accidently leave them on the eye of my stove. :oops: I have 2, and I am constantly using either one or the other, I have put off certain cooking projects before, because both of mine were dirty at the same time. I love those things. They complete me. :wink:

I also love the waffle iron we got as a wedding present, 12 years ago. I seriously use that thing all the time, because it makes 2 square waffles. Again, I know, the general advice you get is, you want one, large waffle, for more even spreading of the batter and cooking. But, I love having small square waffles, because when I've made up all the waffles we are going to eat that morning, and there's still batter left, I can go ahead and make them up, and then put them in a freezer bag and later in the week pull them out, pop them in the toaster and viola! Homemade toaster waffles! All the convenience of Kellogg's, none of the preservatives!

That is ENOUGH from me. Somebody chime in and tell me about an excellent dishwasher, because after re-reading this, THAT is apparently the kitchen appliance I cannot live without!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 May, 2010 08:40 am

Wow. I've got a basic Kitchen Aid and a cheap hand mixer. Never had a food processor and I think I've only had one cheap blender in my life. I'm still feeling excited about having a dishwasher, which I never had until we moved into this house nine years ago.

Turns out I don't really like to cook that much anyway, so it doesn't matter.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 03 May, 2010 08:54 am

Sounds like you have most of the basics covered with the awesome stuff you already have. The only stuff I would add to that list would be:

1- One of the spiffy, flip-over waffle irons that hotels have in their breakfast areas.
2- A powered ice cream maker (we have a Cuisinart one, but there are other brands -- including a Kitchenaid attachment).
3- A panini press. We have one that hasn't been used a whole lot lately, but I want to start using it more again very soon.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 03 May, 2010 08:57 am

We got a BlendTec blender at Christmas, and we've been very happy with it.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

The Don

Postby The Don » Mon 03 May, 2010 01:23 pm

A digital probe thermometer.

I highly recommend a coffee/spice grinder though. I use mine to grind spices and dried chiles quite often.
I like traffic lights.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 03 May, 2010 02:57 pm

BLENDTEC! That's the bionic blender, isn't it?
You're unique, just like everyone else!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:21 pm

Lady Celtic wrote:WiseGuy, you need to come be my neighbor so I can borrow all your fun toys. I promise I'll return them....

I would in a minute - you know that.

Didn't Jeff get a Magic Bullet a while back? Does that have the capacity you're looking for? And do you have an immersion blender? Because by golly, I have one and I LOVE it. My potato soups are now awesomely creamy.

I don't even know what a magic bullet or an immersion blender is. More research!

I have heard rumors of an expensive blender that can cook soup and grind wheat, but I have no details.

So you need to do some research for me, too! :wink:
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:32 pm

KMD wrote:Second on the immersion blender. I don't use mine that often, but when I need it, it's the perfect tool for the job. Mostly mine gets used to liquify strawberries when making ice cream. MMmmm! WnL, did you ever get the ice cream maker attachment for your Kitchen Aid? What have you made with it?

I got it and haven't used it yet. Dumb, huh? With the twenty-somethings living here, I should break it out and try it.

Back on the subject, I got an electric kettle for a birthday present this year, and I just can't stop using it. I didn't know how often I wanted boiling water RIGHT NOW! I can't help you much on brands there, mine's an El Cheapo, but it makes water hot, and that's about all I need out of it.

Another thing I've never heard of.

I've found that the most handy thing in my kitchen are plastic cutting boards that fit inside my dishwasher. I've got one that's too big to fit the dishwasher, so it never gets used, but the small ones, those are used daily. I know what you're going to say. "Wood... butcher block.... etc". But those things have to be hand washed, and if there's one chore around the house that everyone hates to do, and happens as infrequently as possible, it's hand washing dishes. But the dishwasher, for us, is a daily thing. So, small to large-ish but still fit in the dishwasher, is a necessity for us.

I have a small and large one. I use the small one constantly without ever having realized why. Now I know.

Also I got a coffee grinder to use as a spice grinder, but in all honesty, that thing has sat in it's box in a cabinet for about a year now. It's all well and good to know you should buy your spices whole, and grind them as needed, but in reality, that does not fit my life right now. Shoot, things are so busy around here, lately cooking doesn't fit in my life. :S Oh! But! What I always have time for is my microplane. That's about the only "whole spice" I cannot live without, nutmeg, and having a little microplane around, to shave off some whenever, into whatever, is super awesome.

I need to learn more about spices. I just buy the grocery store bottles right now. I'm thinking of putting in a container garden for herbs, but spices are a mystery. Maybe I'll learn something in my cooking classes this summer.

On the subject of heat resistant, I bought a few years ago some Orca gloves, and I cannot function without those anymore. They're heat resistent up to like 500 degrees or something crazy like that. I've stuck my hand into boiling water with those, and onto a hot grill, no problem. They're nice and large, so on my short self, they almost go up to my elbow, which is good, because I have burnt my wrists or the side of my hands many times with smaller "pot holders". And when they get a little grungy, no problem, throw them in the dishwasher, and then next day they look like new. Seriously, I bought mine at least 6 years ago, they get used daily and they look like new. Not a scratch, not a discoloration, nada. ORCA. Accept no substitutes.

Those sound awesome. More research!

OXO makes not only fabulous, accurate measuring cups that I adore. But also some heat resistant spatulas that I just love. I never worry about them 1) scratching my cookware or 2) melting, even if I accidently leave them on the eye of my stove. :oops: I have 2, and I am constantly using either one or the other, I have put off certain cooking projects before, because both of mine were dirty at the same time. I love those things. They complete me. :wink:

Maybe I'll marry me some of those. :wink:

I also love the waffle iron we got as a wedding present, 12 years ago. I seriously use that thing all the time, because it makes 2 square waffles.

I already have a waffle iron I love. In fact, two of them. I had a waffle day for the kids and we all loved it. Mine cook large waffles fast, and with two of them you can keep a large group from getting too hungry too fast!

That is ENOUGH from me. Somebody chime in and tell me about an excellent dishwasher, because after re-reading this, THAT is apparently the kitchen appliance I cannot live without!

I never thought much about the dishwasher. I would also love to hear about things people like/dislike about their dishwashers or ones they've seen.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:35 pm

AdamOndi wrote:The only stuff I would add to that list would be:

1- One of the spiffy, flip-over waffle irons that hotels have in their breakfast areas.
2- A powered ice cream maker (we have a Cuisinart one, but there are other brands -- including a Kitchenaid attachment).
3- A panini press. We have one that hasn't been used a whole lot lately, but I want to start using it more again very soon.

1. My waffle irons don't flip, but I still love them.
2. Got the Kitchenaid attachment. Need to try it.
3. Got one. I use it to grill steaks quickly and make grilled cheese sandwiches. Don't think I've ever made a panini with it. My wife wanted it so I bought it for her, but she's never used it.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:36 pm

Eric's Fat Brother wrote:We got a BlendTec blender at Christmas, and we've been very happy with it.

I thought I remembered that you had gotten one. I should have been patient and bought one, but we needed something right away. I'll have to look into getting one of those so I can blend various things around the house. :D
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:37 pm

The Don wrote:A digital probe thermometer.

Got it and love it!

I highly recommend a coffee/spice grinder though. I use mine to grind spices and dried chiles quite often.

Certainly something I'll have to think about once I know more about spices. Where do you buy spices that need to be ground?
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 03 May, 2010 04:43 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Wow. I've got a basic Kitchen Aid and a cheap hand mixer. Never had a food processor and I think I've only had one cheap blender in my life. I'm still feeling excited about having a dishwasher, which I never had until we moved into this house nine years ago.

Turns out I don't really like to cook that much anyway, so it doesn't matter.

You are so funny! I have heard raves about your cooking. My mother, grandmothers and mother-in-law have made some awesome meals with basic kitchens, but I learned from my MIL that toys can make the experience more fun. With my job, I need all the help I can get to make meal preparation faster. I wish my wife had an interest, but there you go!
WiseNLucky

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 04 May, 2010 07:22 am

When you do your research for those oven mitt thingies, look for Orka. Apparently I love them, but I can't spell them.

I end up buying most of my whole spices at the regular grocery store, just look for allspice berries instead of ground allspice. Or whole coriander instead of ground. If you have specialty spice selling shops around you, that's probably even better, higher quality spices. I'm just in backwoods nowhere, WV, where I'm lucky to find anything at all at my local Wal-mart. The reason you want whole spices and to grind your own is, well, once they're cut up, the spices release their best flavors right then. So, if you're buying them pre-ground, the best stuff was released into the air who knows how long ago at a factory somewhere, and then sat in a warehouse, a store shelf, and then your kitchen spice rack/cabinet. And the longer they sit, the less potent those flavors are. So, if you buy them whole, and grind them yourselves, you get the best, strongest, most potent flavor in your food. And, isn't that really where you want it? I grew up on ground, powdered nutmeg from a little shaker, but then saw so many cooks on TV using whole nutmegs, and grating it right into their dishes, that I just had to try it. I don't think I'd ever seen a whole nutmeg in a grocery store before, but one day at a World Market store, I saw a package of 5 nutmegs, and grabbed it and gave it a try. And WOW, did it make a difference! I mean, the powdered stuff I'd always used doesn't even come Close to the flavor of fresh. It's amazing. And now that I think the whole world watches the Food Network, all the big chain grocery stores have picked up on it, and you can get whole nutmeg just about anywhere.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 04 May, 2010 07:27 am

WiseNLucky wrote:

Certainly something I'll have to think about once I know more about spices. Where do you buy spices that need to be ground?

There are several spice websites where you can buy whole spices. Just do a Google search for "whole spices" and you will see a huge list. Also, if you have any sort of hippy dippy health food store near you, they usually stock whole spices, too. Regular grocery stores will sometimes stock them, too, if they have a good bulk section or a good health food section.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 05 May, 2010 06:13 am

Thanks to both of you!
WiseNLucky

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 05 May, 2010 01:02 pm

I really, really love my Crock Pot. I know this makes me sound like Suzy Homemaker, circa 1970, but I am unashamed! I LOVE MY CROCK POT! I have a model where you can program the amount of cook time you want, and after that time is up it will just switch over to warm, and nothing burns. I started out using it for the basic soups and stews that you simmer all day and you come home and the house smells amazing. But you can make freaking ANYTHING in a Crock Pot and it's super easy. I love the idea of cooking while I'm not even home. It has revolutionized my life.

I am also a big fan of my rice cooker because not only can you use it for making rice, but you can use it kind of like a quicker version of a crock pot, if you just want to heat something up quickly and then keep it warm. Mine also has a steamer basket in the top so we can use it to steam fresh vegetables quickly.

Finally, we got a Food Saver for Christmas from my husband's parents and it is awesome. We have saved so much money on food that we used to waste because it went bad before we could use it, or it got freezer burn.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 May, 2010 01:43 pm

I like my rice cooker, which I'd never thought of owning until Jeff got me one for Christmas. The only trouble with it is that the only place to store it is on a shelf where I have to climb on something to get it.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 05 May, 2010 02:28 pm

We've had a rice cooker for years that we never used, with a steamer thingy in the top. One of the boys really likes rice, so we broke it out about a month ago. It's so easy to use that we've made rice a whole bunch of times since then. I really like the rice cooker.

I know what you mean about storing things. I'm lucky I'm tall. We have 9 foot ceilings and very tall cabinets that go within about 6 inches of the ceiling. Even I have to stand on my tippy toes.

Audrey, that sounds like some kind of special crock pot. I'll have to think about that.
WiseNLucky

Return to “Recipes”