*NEW! IMPROVED* Caramel Apple Jam Recipe

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KareNin

*NEW! IMPROVED* Caramel Apple Jam Recipe

Postby KareNin » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 08:26 pm

This is for Lisapants, and anyone else who tried the other recipe for Caramel Apple Jam in the Handmade Gifts (or whatever) thread, and was disappointed because it was not at all caramel-flavored, just slightly cinnamony.

I messed around with this some, and I have to admit that I already had the Caramel Sauce made ahead of time, so for me the recipe was not very time-consuming at all. If you start from scratch, though, it's going to take you awhile to get ready to can these babies.

So here's what I suggest: Just go ahead and make up a batch of the Caramel Sauce now, and use it for whatever you like: on ice cream, for dipping apple slices into, etc. Then when you're ready to try out the Caramel Apple Jam, you'll probably still have enough on hand to make some. And if you don't, then it's because the Caramel Sauce was SO AWESOME that you didn't save enough. If that happens, the good news is that you get to make a whole new batch of it, and you only need 2½ cups of the stuff to make your jam.

Okay, here we go:
KAREN'S MOST EXCELLENT CARAMEL SAUCE

(THIS is a Half Recipe – Makes 4½ cups. I know!! The original Whole Recipe made NINE CUPS of this.)

1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup Light Karo Syrup
1 pound (4 sticks) butter
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ Tablespoon salt
1 cup (unwhipped) Heavy Whipping Cream

Melt butter in heavy pot. Heat on MED.; then add all ingredients except cream. Stir, heat, mix, stirring constantly. Blend thoroughly, scraping bottom of pan often. Do not let anything interrupt you for the next 15 minutes or so!!
At MED-HIGH, cook, boiling, for 2 to 3 minutes for a pancake syrup-consistency; about 4 to 5 minutes for a thick apple-dipping sauce.

Move off the burner and let cool for 10 minutes before stirring in cream.
When thoroughly blended, dispense into containers and give them all away to people you love.
THE PREVIOUSLY ALLUDED-TO CARAMEL APPLE JAM

Now. When you are ready to make the jam, peel and core and chop up tart apples until you have 4 cups of finely-diced apples (we used the onion chopper, which has a grid that produces about 1/8" cubes).

In a large heavy pan, heat the diced apples until they are uniformly heated and begin to soften (just a few minutes). Stir in 2½ cups of the Caramel Sauce and an additional cup of brown sugar, plus one packet of pectin. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture looks consistent throughout.

Portion out into clean, sterilized jars, either 4-oz. or 8-oz., and process in hot water bath for 15 minutes for small jars, 25 minutes for larger jars.
This recipe makes 64 ounces of jam.

Refrigerate jars after opening.
Last edited by KareNin on Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Re: *NEW! IMPROVED* Caramel Apple Jam Recipe

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 09:23 pm

Oh my goodness oh my goodness

Would you actually use this like jam, like on a peanut butter sandwich, or would you just sit there and eat it with a spoon? That's what I'd do.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 10:09 pm

Well, I have to say, I enjoy it much more when its taste is not marred by bread, toast, peanut butter, or other foreign flavors.
But I would never suggest that anyone just sit there, eyes glazing over in rapture, spooning bit after delectable bit into one's grateful mouth, like a goddess eating nectar and ambrosia...

Oh, hey, also, I'm totally Not Good With Numbers, as you all know, and initially I wrote that this recipe makes 40 ounces of jam, when I CLEARLY, CLEARLY meant to say 64 ounces. (I made 6 half-pint (8-oz) jars and 4 four-ounce jars, but for some reason I just thought "ten jars times four ounces = 40 ounces..." ) So I edited it to correct that error.

But 64 ounces is, like, a whole couple dozen ounces BETTER than 40 ounces, isn't it? So don't be mad at me, please.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:54 pm

I have died and gone to caramel heaven.

Thank you so much Auntie K! I shall definitely have to try this out sometime very soon.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 02:22 pm

Thank you Momma and Lisa.
I just made a new batch of this stuff. I can honestly tell you, with no exaggeration whatsoever, that it is the Most Delicious Substance On the Face of the Earth. You will know for yourself that this is true, when you are waiting the 10 minutes for the cooked stuff to cool down so that you can add the cream. Because probably, you will have taken your stirring spoon out of the pan and rested it on a spoon rest, thinking you would just hang loose for 10 minutes while it cooled off. But then you will notice that there was some otherwise-wasted Caramel Sauce clinging to the spoon and dripping onto the spoon rest, so you will scrape it off with your finger and lick it off your finger. You will nearly swoon with happiness and incredulity at something so heavenly, but you will remind yourself that the Heavy Whipping Cream isn't even mixed into the stuff yet, so you will remain conscious for another few minutes.

Finally, the mixture will be cooled off enough to add the cream. Which you will do, as per instructions. And then you will dispense the finished Nectar of the Gods into the designated containers.

And you will then be left with a pan that has delectable droplets of Caramel Sauce clinging here and there to the sides. And a spoon with rivulets of Heavenly Sauce pooling in the bowl of it. And you will be powerless to stop yourself from licking off every tiny little molecule of this stuff. If some of it drips into the sink, you will probably leap up onto the counter and stick your head into the sink and attempt to lick the spilled droplets out of the sink, that's how good it is.

So, before you make this stuff, I suggest that you thoroughly scrub your sink. And don't say that I didn't warn you.

Love,
~Karen

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:09 pm

My coworkers and I have decided to exchange white elephant (but GOOD stuff) gifts for Christmas this year, or things we've bought at yard sales, or homemade stuff, or whatever. The other three like to shop but two of them are in really bad money shape, and I have many, many children and grandchildren to spend money on, plus I hate to shop, so this is good for all of us.

I always give them all my usual candy selection, but for a special gift I think I'll make them all some Caramel Sauce. I'll be the most popular girl in school!

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:12 pm

Auntie Karen, what kind of apples do you use when you make the jam? Does it matter?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:04 pm

Deepdish, the tree that produced the apples I made the jam from last year let me down badly this year. Almost no apples.

BUT!! I still have lots left from last year, so all is well. The apples taste a lot like Jonathans; fairly tart and firm, with a strong apple flavor. But the skin isn't as dark red as most Jonathans have, so I'm not really sure what kind they are.

The tree is probably 25 or 30 years old, and it might be getting close to the end of its productive life. I wish I could find some of the old "heirloom" varieties of apple trees from my youth. I don't honestly know whether they even still exist anywhere. We used to have a fair-sized orchard out back, but those trees are all dead now, of course.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:40 am

I'll probably use Fuji apples unless you say otherwise.

...and as to other varieties of apple you miss, maybe this would help?
http://www.ohioapples.com/ohio_apples_regions_map.htm

...also, I've ordered fruit trees from this Georgia nursery before, and was very satisfied with their trees and customer service. My renters (we never were able to sell our NC house {market = baaaaaaad}) very much enjoyed the nectarines, asian pears, and blackberries this past summer; and they have more varieties of apple than I could count:
http://www.johnsonnursery.com/FRUIT%20PAGES/APPLES.htm

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:14 pm

Fujis might be a little too sweet to contrast with the caramel sauce so that the apple flavor really stands out. I don't know, though; it might work out just fine.

After looking at that first website for a while and then Googling a couple of things, I have semi-concluded that my tree possibly produces Northern Spy apples. Those are a variety I remember from my childhood, and this picture looks like the way our apples looked last year: http://www.eatlikenoone.com/northern-spy-apples.htm

I really miss the apple trees, the cherry trees, the pear tree, and the peach trees we used to have when I was a kid. My mom was awesome. She knew what to do with all that stuff and when to do it, and we had a big garden she mostly worked herself, and we had canned (and in later years also frozen) vegetables and fruits all winter long.

Return to “Recipes”