Clam Chowder

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

robcan2

Clam Chowder

Postby robcan2 » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 11:14 am

I found this clam chowder recipe and served it at a family party last weekend. It was really, really good.

I chopped the carrots, celery, and the potatoes pretty small. The next time I make it, I'll still chop the carrots and celery small, but make the potato chunks a little larger.

Ingredients

* 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
* 1 cup minced onion
* 1 cup diced celery
* 2 cups cubed potatoes
* 1 cup diced carrots
* 3/4 cup butter
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 quart half-and-half cream
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
3. Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Re: Clam Chowder

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 11:19 am

I just bought some clams, planning to make some clam chowder! My mom always made it with canned milk, potatoes, onions, and corn, and probably some butter, but I'm going to try it with chicken broth, the way some of the restaurants do it. I'll leave out the carrots, but I'll use celery. I don't see much point in the vinegar. Does it add a flavor, or does it interact with something?

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 11:23 am

The vinegar adds a really nice subtle flavor. I thought it was a little weird to have carrots, but I went ahead and put them in anyway and it was great.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 02:50 pm

It's cold and rainy today and clam chowder sounds PERFECT. Too bad I don't have any clams or half-and-half on hand. Guess we'll have to have it tomorrow.

Maybe I'll make potato soup.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 03:43 pm

I love canned milk, so I'm a little biased, maybe, but I almost always use that instead of half and half. Best thing is that you can keep it on hand. It works GREAT in clam chowder and potato soup.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 02 Nov, 2010 08:43 pm

What do you mean by canned milk? Evaporated milk?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 10:42 am

Yes, evaporated. I use it for cooking almost exclusively.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 03:10 pm

Canned milk = evaporated milk

Eagle Brand Milk = sweetened, condensed milk

cube of butter or margarine = 1 stick of Imperial Margarine

stick of butter = 1 stick of butter

(Entries from SniderStout Glossary of Old People Terms, copyright 2010)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 09:32 pm

Thank you both for the clarification. :lol:

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 10:51 am

Also,

1 lb. powdered sugar = 1 box powdered sugar

2 cups peanut butter = 1 18 oz. jar peanut butter, except they don't come in 18 oz. jars any more, they're smaller, but one jar still serves the purpose if you're making peanut butter balls

The Don

Postby The Don » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 12:42 pm

Vinegar or citric acids can add a nice subtle "brightness" to a soup that helps to enhance the other flavors. The concept is vaguely similar to salt in a cake recipe that's there to provide a slight contrast to the sweet.
I like traffic lights.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm

Oh! I have never bought vinegar except the cheap bottle of white vinegar now and then for Easter egg coloring, but I will now.

The Don

Postby The Don » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 06:17 pm

The world of vinegars is vast, interesting, and can be quite expensive. Some aged balsamics can go for a couple hundred bucks. Decent enough (and inexpensive) wine vinegars can be had at most supermarkets. Rice wine vinegar is a nice all purpose one for dressings or recipes. It's milder than most vinegars and has a little sweetness to it.
I like traffic lights.

Benny

Postby Benny » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 10:36 pm

I prefer a champagne vinegar or a good red wine vinegar for most applications. You can get pre-sweetened rice wine vinegar for your sushi needs

Cider vinegar works well with fruitier applications but it reeeeeeeks of urine (to me) when it dries or gets too condensed
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 02:50 pm

My favorite potato salad is made with a dash of cider vinegar and I LOVE the flavor it adds. One time, though, I thought I'd add more since I loved it so much but went a little overboard and it ended up kind of gross.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 10:38 pm

I made the clam chowder! It was fantastic--so fantastic that I had four servings and then had to lay on the couch for a while. (Yeah, I won't be posting in the Hot Bodies thread this week....). The leftovers were not quite as nummalicious--I think the chowder had congealed too much to be resurrected in the microwave? I don't know. The family liked it enough that they want me to experiment with making it with evaporated milk. Or, as my five-year-old put it, "Momma, we should keep the ingredients for this soup in our house ALL the time."

Return to “Recipes”