New Thanksgiving recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

robcan2

New Thanksgiving recipes

Postby robcan2 » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:09 am

We've had a few threads for Thanksgiving recipes over the years. I was wondering if anyone was going to try anything new this year. Any new pies or sweet potato recipes that you're planning to experiment with? What veggies do you usually have? Thanksgiving seems to be heavy on the meat and starch and light on the greens. I love my meat and starch, of course, but I am looking for some ideas for veggie dishes that would go well.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KMD

Re: New Thanksgiving recipes

Postby KMD » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:51 am

My brother-in-law has been doing most of the cooking for the big meal on my side of the family, and one he does that I love is roasted brussel sprouts. Yes, I know, I thought I hated brussel sprouts too. But turns out, like broccoli and cauliflower, I hate "boiled into oblivion" overdone brussel sprouts.

He gets some fresh, cleans them, cuts them in half, leaving the stem in tact so it holds the little leaves together. Toss them with a little oil, salt and pepper, and then pop them under the broiler for 30 minutes or so. They get a taste that oddly reminds me of popcorn, in a good way. And also like popcorn, once I eat one, I can't stop until they are gone.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm

That sounds delicious, KMD! I usually hate brussel sprouts because they are so bitter, I might try these this year though.

We're having a small Thanksgiving. Just me, my husband, and my aunt. It's only our second Thanksgiving that we've been in charge of. Last year we brined the turkey, and I was planning to do that this year too. But today I found out you're not supposed to brine a frozen turkey (last year we bought a fresh one). So I think we're going to cook it in a roasting bag instead. Any tips?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:29 pm

I have always used a frozen turkey, and I've brined them several times. Just make sure they are fully defrosted before you brine. So, you have to start that defrosting process even earlier.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:14 am

KMD wrote:My brother-in-law has been doing most of the cooking for the big meal on my side of the family, and one he does that I love is roasted brussel sprouts. Yes, I know, I thought I hated brussel sprouts too. But turns out, like broccoli and cauliflower, I hate "boiled into oblivion" overdone brussel sprouts.

He gets some fresh, cleans them, cuts them in half, leaving the stem in tact so it holds the little leaves together. Toss them with a little oil, salt and pepper, and then pop them under the broiler for 30 minutes or so. They get a taste that oddly reminds me of popcorn, in a good way. And also like popcorn, once I eat one, I can't stop until they are gone.

30 minutes? Are you sure? I think just about anything would be turned to charcoal after 30 minutes under a broiler. When I have done roasted Brussels sprouts in the past, I have done essentially the same thing your BIL did, except I added asparagus, too. I slice the sprouts in half and then chop the asparagus to be roughly the same size, toss it all with some olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked pepper, and then stick it in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. They come out roasted to tender (but not mushy) perfection. I have eaten that sort of thing as a snack and loved it. It's good stuff.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 01:48 pm

I have to cook turkey for 50 people for Sunday, but that's all I have to do. Oh, and the gravy. I bought a frozen turkey for 37 cents a pound and a fresh one for a dollar a pound, so I can compare them. I hope it will be enough turkey, but if it's not, someone will just have to make a peanut butter sandwich when they get home. I hope I remember to cook at least one of the turkeys on Saturday...

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:02 pm

Can you still use the drippings to make gravy if you cook a turkey in the bag?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 02:44 pm

AdamOndi wrote:30 minutes? Are you sure?

No, I am not. Depends a lot on how far your pan is from the broiler, and how hot your oven gets.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 03:50 pm

lilcis, I think if it's a regular oven bag you can. In the olden days they used to tell us to cook it in a paper grocery bag, and gravy was not good under those circumstances.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:47 am

We are going to try these two:

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Pumpkin Cheesecake

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:11 am

My wife's family makes these delicious little things called pudding bars. Essentially a cream pie, but better, and in convenient rectangular form so it is easier to take a smaller piece (though why you would want to do that is beyond me). Also, she's adapted it to sugar free for me so I can feel slightly less guilt while eating it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:02 pm

That sounds good, Scott!
I'd like to report that I found no difference between the frozen turkey and the fresh one. Also, it turns out I can either cook two turkeys and mess with getting every possible piece of meat from the bones and serve it, or I can enjoy eating it. I hope to never see another turkey. I'll probably get over it by Thursday, though.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 04:11 pm

I love making this appetizer. I don't remember where I got the recipe, or what it's real name is. It is very easy to make, and very delicious. People seem to really like it. I will be making it again this year.

Cream Cheese Pesto appetizer:

1 brick cream cheese
4 croissant rolls, uncooked
2 Tablespoons pesto sauce
2 Tablespoons roasted red peppers, diced

1) Pinch two croissant rolls together into a rectangle and place on a non-stick cooking dish. (You may need to stretch them a little, see step 7)
2) Carefully slice the cream cheese brick in half through the middle (as if you were making a layered cake)
3) Place 1/2 of the cream cheese on the 2 croissant rolls
4) Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto sauce on top, and 1 tablespoon of the roasted red peppers
5) Place the other 1/2 of the cream cheese on top
6) Spread the remaining pesto and roasted red peppers on top.
7) Pinch two more croissant rolls together into a rectangle and place on top. Pinch all croissant rolls together at the edges so that the entire cheese is covered with roll dough. You may need to stretch the rolls a little.
8) Bake using the same directions on the croissant roll package, usually at 375 degrees for 11-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

Serve hot as a spread with your favorite crackers.

The original recipe had me brushing the top with beat egg-whites, and I just never do that. Also, I have done the roasted red peppers many ways. Sometimes I don't use them at all, sometimes I just fry a diced red bell pepper in olive oil before placing on top, sometimes I just put in on raw (diced) before baking. You can add anything else you like (sun-dried tomatoes, for example).

SDR

Ambrosia (aka Pudding Bars)

Postby SDR » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:59 pm

I posted this on my very infrequently updated blog, and you can see it there if you want: Pudding Bars Recipe.

However, to save you time, here it is:

I realize Ambrosia is a different dessert; I’m using it in the classical “food of the gods” context.

In any case, Pudding Bars (known by some as Politician’s Pie, though this seems to be far too insulting a name for something so delicious) is a dessert I was introduced to after marrying into my wife’s family. We have been on a first name basis ever since. Really. I call it Puddin’, it calls me Scott. Until I’ve consumed it, but it was more than willing to make that sacrifice. It would have been insulted at any other action on my part.

Due to my diabetes, my wife has tweaked the recipe so that I can continue to enjoy it without quite as much guilt. Here is the recipe (with variations):

Pudding Bars
Serves 12 to 15. Or just me.

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup Splenda (or powered sugar if you prefer)
  • 1 stick butter (or margarine if you’re a cheapskate)
  • 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (or other nut [or optional] depending on tastes & allergies, but really, why wouldn’t you include the nuts?)
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup of Splenda (or 1 cup of powdered sugar if you’re trying to kill me)
  • 1 1/2 cups Splenda sweetened whipped cream (substitute sugar free Cool Whip if desired, or sugary variations if you’d like to see me dead sooner rather than later)
  • 1 small box instant sugar free vanilla pudding (or sugary pudding blah blah blah)
  • 1 small box instant sugar free chocolate pudding (or sugary pudding blah blah blah; alternatively, pick any flavor of pudding [banana or coconut are quite tasty])
  • 3 cups milk
  • more Splenda sweetened whipped cream for topping (and by more, we mean lots more, as we love our whipped cream [or variations as noted above])
  • chocolate bar, grated (optional; maybe not as good with pudding flavors other than chocolate, your mileage may vary)

Crust: Crumble together first four ingredients until it has a sandy texture. Press into 9 x 13″ pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and cool.

Filling: Cream together cream cheese, Splenda, and whipped cream. Spread on cooled crust. Mix together puddings and milk until semi-thick. Spread on top of cream cheese mixture. Top with more whipped cream and grated chocolate bar as desired. Chill and serve. To me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:25 pm

We call that Yummy Dessert. It is, indeed, yummy.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:18 am

KMD, we had your brussels sprouts at our Thanksgiving dinner last night and they were a hit, even among family members previously convinced that they hated brussels sprouts. Thanks for posting that idea!

My husband and I hosted dinner for the first time, and there were 8 people from his family there. Husband's brother and his brother's wife made some appetizers that we munched on all day (shrimp coctail with cream cheese dip, BBQ meatballs, veggies with ranch) and the four of us all helped with the cooking, doing a blend of all our family traditions. I did the turkey and the stuffing (from my great-grandmother's recipe), sauerkraut (traditional at Thanksgiving here in PA, plus my husband's family lived in Germany and our SIL's mother is German so it fit all our families in some way), sweet potatoes with hazelnut and brown sugar topping, roasted garlic and herb mashed potatoes, and even made a totally Mormon jell-o salad featuring Sprite in the jell-o and grated cheese on top (for my FIL, who's from Utah/Idaho). My SIL made the classic green bean casserole with french-fried onions, and she also took charge of the KMD brussels sprouts. My husband made homemade rolls from scratch. Pretty much everyone made a dessert, meaning there was pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake roll, pumpkin gingerbread trifle, deep dish peach pie, and a berry pie. I'm surprised any of us can even move today! And there was enough left over that we're getting together again tonight to eat the leftovers!

Hope all of you had an equally enjoyable and gluttonous Thanksgiving!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 02:44 pm

I think the only thing I did wrong with my part of the Thanksgiving dinner was that I left the sweet potatoes in the oven too long, so the marshmallows melted away to nothing. But it was a very delicious nothing, I must say.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:04 am

I can't believe I lived without two ovens for most of my life. I've had them both cranked up and running for days. We had dinner with friends on Thursday, for which I baked pies, cornbread stuffing (using fresh-ground cornmeal in the cornbread) and these awesomely yummy dinner rolls. Then yesterday I cooked a turkey of our own with more stuffing and dinner rolls and made the best pan gravy I've ever had. My cooking classes are paying off. My wife put her fork down during dinner yesterday, looked at me, and told me she thought I had surpassed her mother in cooking skills. I hadn't, but the compliment was nice.

By the way, I had a green bean casserole that I had never heard of before involving green beans, cream of mushroom soup and onion chips. I'm told it's a midwest staple, considered low-class and incredibly unhealthy with fat. Boy did it taste awesome, though!

We did a cultural exchange because they had never had cornbread stuffing before. I was kind of embarrassed that all of my stuffing got eaten and almost none of the traditional bread stuffing prepared by our hostess. She wasn't complaining though, as she had three helpings of my stuffing herself.

I'm a little sad that Thanksgiving season is behind us for another year.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:17 am

Don't be sad, WnL. Just do it all again in a few weeks for Christmas.

I think it is kind of a shame that the whole roasted turkey feast is reserved mostly for Thanksgiving. I think I am going to make a new tradition where we do a Thanksgiving-style meal right around Memorial Day. And I also want to make pies more often than once a year.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:09 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:We are going to try these two:

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Pumpkin Cheesecake

In my opinion, these were the two best things at our dinner.

Return to “Recipes”