New Thanksgiving recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Re: New Thanksgiving recipes

Postby KMD » Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:51 pm

Any new Thanksgiving recipes for this year???

I'm trying cider carrots and parsnips with thyme, but don't have the recipe on me at the moment. Basically it's cut carrots and parsnips into sticks, toss in apple cider, salt, pepper and thyme. Throw under the broiler and roast 'em. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Everything else is pretty much the standard. Turkey, ham, rolls, mashed potatoes, green beans, steamed broc and cauli mix, with apple pie and french silk pie for dessert. And then I'm doing a tray of strawberries, grapes, cheese and crackers for snacking on during the marathon Monopoly session we have planned.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:35 pm

I made apple crisp with a couple of layers of butterscotch chips for a game night last month, and The Hub is INSISTING I make it again for Thanksgiving, even though we're eating with his parents and my MIL says they have 4 desserts already. It's from the Allrecipes.com website--Apple Crisp IV.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 08:20 am

So did you add the layers of butterscotch chips yourself? It sounds delicious!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:56 am

Well, I did see the idea (just the recipe title) on Pinterest, but that recipe called for butterscotch pudding or something and yeah. Butterscotch chips are soooo much easier.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 11:10 am

This year I will be having mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. I'm hoping to get some carb-free gravy for them, and I'm hoping the sight of rolls and stuffing I can't eat doesn't make me cry. If anyone has done the mashed cauliflower thing and has any suggestions, my earballs are open.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:46 pm

I had no suggestions on how to make mashed cauliflower turn out good, except add garlic, but that's my answer to most of life's questions. So, how did it turn out? Enquiring minds want to know!

The roasted carrots and parsnips turned out OK, but the parsnips weren't quite as "done" as the carrots. They were OK, but I would have liked them better with a more consistent texture throughout the dish.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:09 pm

I thought the cauliflower was good, but I don't see how anyone could ever think it could replace mashed potatoes in the satisfaction factor, unless they totally smothered it in gravy, which defeats the purpose, carbs or no carbs.

You know what was good was the Waldorf salad, better than usual. I had lost my pecans, so Jeff had to run out and buy some, and they were labeled Pumpkin Pie or something wonderful like that. All that's in the salad is celery, apples, pecans, and marshmallows, just barely moistened with mayonnaise, and having sweetened pecans made it that much better.

What I did NOT like: the pumpkin pie my sister made, using her Halloween jack-o-lantern. I only took a tiny bite, and it had fibers in it. Libby's canned pumpkin, the recipe with evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, and spices, only leave out the cloves, is perfect, so why mess with it????

Her rolls didn't rise, either, because she didn't know that hot water would kill the yeast, but she was following a recipe, so it wasn't her fault.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:56 pm

I didn't know that hot water kills yeast! That must be why I failed the last couple times I tried to make rolls. This year the recipe called for "barely warm" water, and luckily I followed that instruction so they turned out wonderful.

I made Momma's french silk pie, and that was a big hit.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 05:16 pm

Whenever I use yeast, no matter what the recipe might say, I soften it in lukewarm water before mixing it with the flour and stuff. The recipe my sister used said to combine the butter, milk, and mashed potatoes, and heat them to 120 degrees and then pour it in with the flour and yeast. I would have softened the yeast separately, mixed the hot ingredients with about half the flour and mixed it for a while, and then I'd have added eggs and yeast and then the rest of the flour.

The rolls she bought were really good, though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:36 pm

I mentioned to my other sister about how the pumpkin pie wasn't good because it was made from the jack-o-lantern, and she said she has done that a lot of times. BUT...she doesn't like pumpkin pie, so she wouldn't know if it turned out nasty or not.

Thanksgiving seems so long ago, as does Christmas. January is a long, long month.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:41 pm

Why so much focus on Thanksgiving & Christmas recipes. Someone needs to share recipes for other holidays, like MLKjr day & Groundhog day.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 08:13 am

The only special food I can think of is Groundhog Day pancakes. Which are regular pancakes, but everyone seems to appreciate them more if they woke up ridiculously early and stood outside on a cold February morning, just to see what a stupid groundhog does when it pokes its head out of its hole.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 10:15 am

I'm going to have MLK hot chocolate. Ha ha, that sounded like I was making a racial statement, huh? But what I mean is that since I will be off work (and believe me, I'm already looking forward to that!) I will sleep until 8, and then drink hot chocolate while I get started on the day. That is my plan.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 12:46 pm

KMD: Good point on the pancakes. Sounds much more appetizing than groundhog meat loaf.

Momma: That doesn't sound like a racial comment. Had you suggested recipes that involved fried chicken & watermelon (as first came to mind after making the suggestion; I guess I'm a bad person), then you might have something to talk about. :)

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 01:14 pm

For MLK day, I'm probably having Indian food or Vietnamese. Because my husband gets the holiday off, and so does my son, but I don't. So, I'll drive into the office in Charleston and let them have a Daddy/Son day. And if I'm in Charleston, you can be sure I'm going out to lunch and I'll pick something I love but they won't eat.

No! Wait! Now I know what we all need to have for MLK Day!

I Have A Dream(cicle)!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 01:56 pm

Perfect!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 01:39 pm

Thanksgiving is coming again! While I can't really believe it's November already, that's how it appears. I think we are having a very small Thanksgiving this year. Only two of my kids will be around, and I'll invite my stepmother, of course, and then maybe my sister and her husband and two sons. Nine people is a very small group. But I'm going to look on the bright side and save my energy for Christmas, and I will make everything I usually make, only in smaller amounts. Who ever heard of only peeling 10 potatoes? I wonder if I'll still double the roll recipe?

Who is doing what this year? I don't know what I'll have my sister bring, since she bombed so very badly on the rolls and pumpkin pie last year. Or maybe I should give her another chance.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 04:27 pm

I think it's very generous of you to still invite your sister, even after she wrecked the rolls and pumpkin pie!!! Geesh!!

Now, see, THAT'S why we say "Families are Forever." Even if they totally Favre some of the best parts of Thanksgiving, they still get invited the next year.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 05:51 pm

We don't do Thanksgiving, but if we did, it would be in October (Canadian). Well, really, we don't do any big holiday meals unless we're with family, usually his, and then, it's all rice and curries and sambols and whatnot. I haven't had turkey since I left Canada. In Sri Lanka, a 5 pound turkey ten years ago was around USD35 or so, and I just couldn't justify that price. I don't remember if I've seen turkey in Singapore or not, but we can get duck - I have one in my freezer at the moment.

So I suppose if I were to give suggestions on new things to try, I'd probably say curries. :D That doesn't make me evil, does it?
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 10:07 pm

I gotta start making rolls.

Thanksgiving this year is a big family gathering at my brother's club (he's the executive chef). The club is closed on Thanksgiving day, but he's wrangled special permission for our gathering, which will be his in-laws, some friends, my extended family, but only two of my own kids will be there. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Lots of lounging, lots of good eats, and a possible ghost sighting. My brother says the club is haunted. Fun all around!

Return to “Recipes”