I really like pie

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KareNin

Re: I really like pie

Postby KareNin » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 01:45 pm

EthanBeckstead wrote:Plus I did say 'recipe' in the OP, so I get it. I take pies so seriously that they are a kind of a religion to me. So, does it get moved into the religion section now?

I just think it's adorable that you said an Opening Prayer before you posted your comment about how much you like pie. It's like something one of my grandkids would say.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:23 pm

lisapants wrote:Um, I realize this makes me a heathen, but I love canned cherry pie filling. **runs for cover**

I am also a heathen. I love that canned cherry pie filling, and I love just making a crust or taking one of those pillsbury ones that comes in a box and filling it with cherry pie filling and baking it (usually with the lattice crust on top). I made mini cherry pies or tartlets just the other day with just a pie shell, a mini cupcake pan, and that canned cherry filling. They're delicious.

I've also experimented with the following toppings on the mini pies/tartlets, and they all turned out pretty good: cinnamon, pistachio pieces, a thin icing with coconut extract to drizzle on top.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 04:18 pm

You know what canned cherry pie filling is REALLY good for? You mix it with a chocolate cake mix and three eggs and bake it. Then you cook 1 cup of sugar, 5 Tbsp. of butter (margarine) and 1/3 cup of milk to boiling, boil one minute, stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips, and pour it over the cake. The recipe is on the Wilderness cherry pie filling can, and it's so good!!

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 05:27 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. That sounds delicious, Momma S.

WnL, I don't have any specific brand recommendations for cherry pie filling. I don't know if there is much difference between name brands and store brands.

lilcic, my dad's side of the family has had a tradition of having one pie per person attending dinner, so your three pies sounds just right to me. The pumpkin cheesecake will be a yummy bonus.

This year we're going to spend Thanksgiving with Renlass and her family and extended family. We're making three pies: apple, lemon meringue, and chocolate. It should be a yummy, fun-filled day. I'm excited!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 06:00 pm

How fun that the Ondi family and the Renlass family are getting together!

We're having chocolate french silk pie and pumpkin pie, because they're traditional, but we may have decided to have pumpkin cake instead. I would miss the pie, though...maybe we'll have both. Normally I have kids who will not break tradition, but since they don't eat the pie anyway, they won't miss pumpkin. And I think we might be having apple pie, too. I didn't do any of the shopping for dinner, so we're having whatever Jeff bought the ingredients for. Later that evening we'll be having birthday cake for Emily: Joe Wilson cake, which is yellow on the inside and chocolate on the outside. We considered Eminem cake, which is chocolate on the inside and white on the outside, but turns out Emily likes the other better. I think we will be full.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 11:42 pm

I can't wait to try Lisa and Adams pies! Adam is such a great dessert maker. We also have pumpkin cheesecake, a regular cheesecake (WITH canned cherry pie filling) 2 pumpkin pies and a pecan pie coming. Add 2 turkeys, 2 hams, an all the fixens and I hope we have enough!
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:38 am

So the pies we brought to RenLass's house for Thanksgiving turned out pretty well. Everyone seemed to really like the apple and lemon meringue. The chocolate pie was just kind of so-so compared to the other pies there, but I enjoyed eating the rest of it a couple of days later.

As far as a cranberry pie recipe goes, I would just wing it. Use the recipe that is printed on the side of the Ocean Spray fresh cranberries bag to make cranberry sauce. For a pie, you may want to sweeten it up a little bit more, and possibly mix in a bit of flour or cornstarch to thicken it, but here is the gist of it:

**DISCLAIMER: I have never actually made a cranberry pie. This is how I think I would do it, but if you try this and it sucks, I take no responsibility. If you try it and it is awesome, then I take full responsibility.**

1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
zest of 1 orange

Wash the cranberries. Boil the water, dump in the washed cranberries. Let them boil for a little bit until they all start to burst and issue forth their cranberry deliciousness. When the berries start to burst, add in the sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Bring this all back to a boil.

So yeah, to that, I would add a cornstarch slurry of 4 Tablespoons or so of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, and maybe a little more sugar if the 1 cup is not quite sweet enough for your taste. The cornstarch will thicken up the boiling sauce really quickly, so you should be able to remove it from the heat within a minute or so after you add the cornstarch. Let the filling cool for 10 minutes or so, and then use it in whatever pie dough/shell application you prefer.

I typically enjoy a little tartness with my cranberry stuff, so it would all depend on how you felt when you made the sauce/filling.

Wow. Now I really want to get some fresh cranberries and a couple of oranges at the store and experiment with making my own cranberry pie.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:19 pm

AdamOndi wrote:Wow. Now I really want to get some fresh cranberries and a couple of oranges at the store and experiment with making my own cranberry pie.

Agreed. The recipe you posted here looks like a simplified version of robcan's cranberry orange pie that he posted earlier.

I'll need to get some oranges and try it too. Let us know how it goes if you do it.

My cherry pie was a big hit. My wife's sister's husband wouldn't touch it, but everyone else enjoyed it.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 03:46 pm

I'm craving fresh fruit pie right now. Any recipes out there? I have some beautiful large peaches on my counter right now. And I saw a recipe in Sunset magazine awhile ago with Apple / Green Chile pie. It really sounded interesting. I think I might go make it this weekend.
When the devil reminds you of your past,

remind him of his future

Card

Postby Card » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 11:21 pm

I like this one. It's a little heavy on the sugar, but I think just cutting some of the sugar out is fine. It probably doesn't need as much as it has. I guess it really depends on how much you like sugar in your pies.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 11:15 am

Personally with peaches, I go cobbler. What is that old standard recipe for a cobbler? I know Momma or Karenin will help me out here, if I get it wrong. It's something like...

1 cup flour (self rising, if you only have all-purpose, add like a tsp of baking powder)
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
1 cup fruit of your choice

So you get a 9x13 baking dish, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and while it's preheating, put the entire stick of butter in the dish, pop that in the oven so it melts. While that's happening, clean and cut your fruit. Then combine the flour, sugar and milk in a bowl, pour that straight in the hot pan, then drop your fruit in the gooey mess, and bake for 30 minutes. The fruit will pass through the crust as it bakes, and it kinds of flavors it a bit.

I love to do that with peaches, although sometimes I'll get fancy and put the peaches in a small pot first, cook them a little with a tiny bit of sugar and water, and then drizzle the resulting syrup into the baking pan as well. So good with peaches, apples, or strawberries!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 11:28 am

I like peach cobbler better than peach pie, too. And I think I've made that recipe before. I want some right now!

Card

Postby Card » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 11:59 am

One recipe for peach cobbler I've used that people always rave over (but I think is too sweet) is to cut up the peaches and put them in the cake pan, top those with 1/3 cup of brown sugar, and then to crumble over the top the following: 1 box yellow cake mix mixed with 1/2 cup melted butter. It's kind of like a dough, and you have to just place pieces on top of it. Then you bake it. I can't remember the time or degrees, but I can check later if anyone wants to know. One think I like about it is that it's not too runny, but it is really sweet.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 01:31 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe reducing the sugar in the previous recipe. I like non-sweet crust and bread and everything, although I do want the peaches to be sweetened. It's funny, I love fresh fruit, but if it's in a dessert, especially cooked, it has to be sweetened.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 01:03 pm

All of this talk of pie and cobbler is great, but what I really have a hankering for lately is bread pudding. We just recently rewatched an episode of Good Eats all about bread pudding, and boy do I want to make some of that.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 02:03 pm

I kind of like bread pudding, but can't eat it in front of my husband, who used to work in a bowling alley coffee shop. They always threw all their old bread ends, even off the plates after being discarded, into a big vat and just saved it up until there was enough to make bread pudding. Brings up a whole new image.

I want some tapioca pudding right now. Homemade with evaporated milk.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 09:42 pm

I just want to make some homemade granola! I used to make it frequently when we lived in Ohio, and again when we lived in California, but now I can't find my stoopid recipe. And I'm getting old and senile, so I can't remember what all is in it.

I hate aging. Or ageing. Whatever. I'm getting so addled I even tried to correct Eric's Latin last night, and he was right in the first place (of course). I am chagrined.

However, I DO have tapioca and evaporated milk out in the kitchen cupboard. I'll make some if someone will steer me toward a good recipe for granola, with sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and oats and millet and honey and sliced almonds and raisins and oil... I can't remember amounts or proportions. Gah!!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 04 Nov, 2011 03:02 pm

How do we not have a cheesecake thread?
Decadent Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
2 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 300. Combine crumbs, butter, and 2 Tbs. sugar. Press into bottom and 1" up sides of 8" springform pan.
Beat 1 pkg. cream cheese until smooth. Beat in peanut butter and 1/4 cup sugar, and then 1 egg.
Melt chocolate, add 1 pkg cream cheese, cubed, stir to combine. Stir in milk and vanilla, add eggs.
Spread half the chocolate mixture on top of crust. Carefully spread the peanut butter mixture over chocolate, then spread remaining chocolate on top.
Bake 45 minutes. When partly cooled, sprinkle chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on top. Chill.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sat 05 Nov, 2011 06:20 pm

YUM!!!!!!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Return to “Recipes”