I really like pie

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

EthanBeckstead

I really like pie

Postby EthanBeckstead » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:32 pm

I really like pie.

This year I'm going to make my mom's family famous cherry pie and see if I can. Cherry is my favorite, and my wife's family doesn't usually have one. They make an out-of-this world chocolate pie, so it's a good alternative. This year I'll be eating both.

I wish I knew a good cranberry recipe. I have all these cranberries.

WiseNLucky

Re: I really like pie

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:27 am

Recipe? I love Cherry Pie. (is that a song? One is trying to come into my head)
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 10:34 am

Yeah, Ethan, it is an unwritten rule that anytime you mention something delicious you are required to post the recipe.

The only Cherry Pie song I can think of is the one by Warrant. Somehow I doubt that is the one trying to get into your head, Wise. :)
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm

robcan, I bet that the Warrant song *IS* the one WiseGuy is trying to entertain in his head. Just because we're boring old farts now doesn't mean we always were, you know.

I have a recipe for a Cranberry Jell-O Salad that we always had when I was growing up, every Thanksgiving and every Christmas, and so did my aunt's family. Naturally, I assumed, in my narrow childish view, that EVERYONE had this delicious, tart, crunchy stuff at holiday meals where turkey was served. But no. Nope, when I left home, no one ever did anything involving cranberries except open the can of Cranberry Log Stuff and toss out most of it weeks later, when more room was needed in the fridge.

But I digress. This is a little bit time consuming (grinding, chopping), but well worth the effort, I think. Here we go:

MARGE'S CRANBERRY SALAD

2 small or 1 large pkg. strawberry Jell-O -- Prepare in 9 x 13 casserole dish and refrigerate

2 cups crushed cranberries
2 cups sugar

1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped black walnuts

Mix crushed cranberries with sugar; let sit at least 2 hours.
Mix sugared cranberries, celery, and walnuts into Jell-O after it starts to jell. Return to fridge to set up completely. Will be firm enough to cut into squares and place onto a lettuce leaf on separate small plates, if desired. Or just scoop it up and glom it onto your plate with the turkey and everything else.

NOTES: We had an old-fashioned crank food grinder that attached to a kitchen chair. That's what Mom used to crush the cranberries. I would think a food processor could be used, as long as they weren't pulverized into oblivion. You'll want some pieces and chunks.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

The Don

Postby The Don » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:01 pm

The recipes forum seemed the best place for this one.
I like traffic lights.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:10 pm

But of course, Your Donship.
When I posted earlier, I, lacking Moderator Powers, could only whimper in dismay. I may have shaken my head slowly, as well.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:12 pm

So, you know, this topic, called "I really like pie" is not actually here in the Main Forum anymore, even though it LOOKS like it is.
It clearly states that the thread HAS BEEN MOVED. So... move along. There's nothing to see here.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:51 pm

I love cherry pie. My sister makes cherry-apple pie, and it's wonderful. I've never made it, though. Most recipes I've seen ask for almond flavoring, which I HATE and would never use, and I don't know if that would negatively affect the deliciousness of the pie, so I just don't make it. Well, plus I don't think anyone in my family likes it anyway. I definitely missed the boat as a mom when it came to introducing my kids to pie.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 11:00 pm

I would sure like a good, reliable family-approved recipe for cherry pie, because I keep making ones that are horrible, and I don't know what's wrong. When I was growing up in Ohio, we had a cherry tree, and I used fresh sour cherries and the recipe in the old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. Fancy-schmancy woven-lattice top crust, and everything! And they were always really good.

I have tried since then to make a decent cherry pie--using canned sour cherries, using canned cherry pie filling, using frozen cherries--and the filling is ALWAYS disappointing: either too sour-tasting, or else just runny as heck. Since cherry pie is Tom's favorite and was my late sorta-Dad Al's favorite, it's doubly sad that I can't recapture the glory of my former cherry pie goodness.

So, since we still have 2 big bags of the frozen cherries April sent Tom for his birthday in January, I still have a chance to redeem myself if someone could post a good recipe for me to try. Almond extract is fine; I happen to love it.

Thank you for your kindness.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 07:55 am

Also, more on cranberries:

Cooks.com has this recipe for quick homemade cranberry sauce, and some tips about cranberries: http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp? ... &bdc=67848

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:19 am

The Don wrote:The recipes forum seemed the best place for this one.

I protest! I didn't post a recipe, I just really like cherry pie. That is a main-forum topic if I ever heard one. I'm kidding. As the resident newbie, (or is it noob now, and you're a noob if you say newbie?) I sorta forgot about the recipe section. Plus I did say 'recipe' in the OP, so I get it. I take pies so seriously that they are a kind of a religion to me. So, does it get moved into the religion section now?

Karenin, I used to pick sour cherries as a kid for the local farmer guy that would pay $2 a lug for my labor. My mom made pies just like what you described, from the Better Homes and Gardens book. That holy grail of recipe books has desecrated the recipe by putting tapioca into it (I have the 12th edition). That jelly junk in cherry pie fillings is an abomination.

Following is the old BH&G recipe, probably with modifications from Mom. She simplifies. Mom says, don't use frozen cherries, don't use Bing for sure, and buy them early, because they can be hard to find. The ones I'm using this year are Oregon Red Tart pitted Cherries packed in water.

Mom's Cherry Pie.
2 16-ounce cans pitted tart red cherries (water pack)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
3 drops almond extract
Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie

Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid.
Combine 3/4 cup of the sugar and the flour in saucepan.
Stir in reserved cherry liquid.
Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Stir in the remaining sugar, butter, almond extract.
Stir in cherries. Cool slightly.

Fill a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate with cherry mixture. Top with lattice crust.
Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Remove foil; bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or till crust is golden.

The lattice crust is a must. I can't imagine cherry pie without it. It would be like putting tapioca in it to not use the lattice crust.

ETA: Sorry Momma, it has almond extract. Trust me, the pie is delicious.
Last edited by EthanBeckstead on Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:24 am

Oh, and thanks for the cranberry salad recipe. I don't mind chopping and crushing, I like my kitchen tools. I have the pampered chef chopper thing. It's on its last legs I've had it so long, but it's last few legs are sturdy enough.

I seem to remember a cranberry pie I had once that was pretty good (and tart), but I didn't ask for the recipe, and I'm not even sure who made it or where I was when I ate it. Probably one of my wife's aunts, or maybe my wife's brother-in-law.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:39 am

Ethan, that looks like the same recipe my mom makes for cherry pie. I agree, it is delicious and I love the almond extract. I wonder what it would taste like without it.

A pox on any cherry pie recipe that wants you to use tapioca or so-called cherry pie filling. Nas.Ty.

I've been making a cranberry-orange pie every year for probably 10 years now. It is one of the best things about Thanksgiving in my family. Here is the recipe.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:11 am

Um, I realize this makes me a heathen, but I love canned cherry pie filling. **runs for cover**

My mom and I tried to make a cherry pie one year from real cherries, and it was not good. I don't think we had the right cherries, though, and I don't recall following a specific recipe, just trying to make a sauce on our own. I might be willing to try this recipe from Mr. Beckstead. It looks good...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:18 am

lisapants wrote:Um, I realize this makes me a heathen, but I love canned cherry pie filling. **runs for cover**

My mom and I tried to make a cherry pie one year from real cherries, and it was not good. I don't think we had the right cherries, though, and I don't recall following a specific recipe, just trying to make a sauce on our own. I might be willing to try this recipe from Mr. Beckstead. It looks good...

I'm about to make one using cherry pie filling. Any recommendations?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:19 am

lisapants wrote:Um, I realize this makes me a heathen, but I love canned cherry pie filling. **runs for cover**

Well, it depends on what you do with it. It actually makes a nice topping for cheesecake. Not so much as an actual pie filling, though.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:28 am

I'm planning on making three pies this year: apple, pecan, and Momma's Chocolate French Silk pie. And I might also make a pumpkin cheesecake, if I can find my springform pan.

Think that's too many for three people?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:35 am

Jelly-like cherry pie filling for cheesecake topping? Very yummy.
Jelly-like cherry pie filling for chocolate-cake cherry cobbler in a dutch oven? Very yummy.
Jelly-like cherry pie filling in a cherry pie? I just don't like it, but that's probably because it's not the way Mom makes it. Sometimes, you just like what your mom made.

Thanks robcan for the cranberry pie recipe. I might try it this year. I'll probably just turn all these cranberries into a sauce. Or, maybe I'll get lucky and my wife's brother-in-law (or whoever that was) will make one again this year and save me a piece. We're not having Thanksgiving with that side of the family this year.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

lilcis wrote:...And I might also make a pumpkin cheesecake, if I can find my springform pan.

Think that's too many for three people?

Take out the word "might" above, invite me to come, and it will not be too much. I'd eat the pumpkin cheesecake all by myself no matter how big. If you haven't posted the recipe in this recipe section that I just found out about today, then please do so.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 12:06 pm

I've made many a cheesecake in a regular pie pan, lilcis, in case you don't find the springform pan. And leftover pie is the best thing to eat for breakfast the next day.

Return to “Recipes”