Recipes that won't kill me so quickly?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

EthanBeckstead

Recipes that won't kill me so quickly?

Postby EthanBeckstead » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 09:36 am

I still like this recipe section. Whoever had the idea of adding it to the village must be a genius. I'm enjoying browsing your recipes.

I just have one problem. I'm slowly dying. I know, it's a common problem. Historically pretty much everyone does it. My problem is that the stuff I eat is making me die faster. I love to eat creamy cheesy things. I'm not too partial to desserts and cakes, but I'll eat them, and they aren't helping. Losing weight is a constant challenge, and surrounding myself with recipes like this isn't helping:

Creamy Pizza Alfredo sauce, Clam Chowder, Caramel Apple Jam, Cookie, Brownies, Mint Cookies, Chocolate Cake, Cracker Toffee, Peach Ice Cream, Cake on a Stick, Cheese Fondue

I sincerely mean no disrespect to this wonderful recipe section, but those are the main titles of the deliciousness posted here over the last year. If I cooked all that stuff, I'd probably die tomorrow. I'd die happy and satisfied, but I'd still die.

I think I'm mildly allergic to dairy. Besides making me fat, it clogs my sinuses. I also have chronic heart-burn. I take that Prilosec pill every day. If I lost 50 lbs and ate better, I bet I could stop taking that pill. My dear wife and I are looking for recipes that have no dairy, are generally low in fat, and are also tasty.

Until I can determine exactly what is killing me and/or I may be mildly allergic to, I am going to try the following:

Foods to avoid:
1. Barley, Rye, Oats, Wheat, Spelt,
2. Dairy
3. Soy (including lecithin)
4. Corn
5. Eggs
6. Eggplant, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Peppers, Yams
(Sweet Potatoes and Black Pepper are okay)
7. Red meat, pork, lamb
8. Peanuts forever (they contain a mold that is hazardous to your health)
9. Sugar and Honey and other sweeteners, except raw organic agave syrup, maple syrup and brown rice syrup (3 T./day)
10. Artificial anything, colors, flavors, sweeteners

Foods to eat:
Quinoa, Brown and Wild Rice, Amarynth, Millet, Buckwheat
Almonds, Walnuts
Carrots, avocados, bananas, fruits, vegetables
Kombucha? Whatever the heck that is.
Chicken, turkey, fish
Beans
frozen berries, almond butter, banana, coconut milk, flax seed powder, probiotics.
Rice-based cereals or multigrain cereals
Salads with vinegar and oil
Salads with salmon, tuna, chicken, beans, almonds, cranberries, etc.
Steamed vegetables over grain

Now, I implore you recipe and cooking ninjas to help me with yummy recipes that won't make me die so quickly -- if you have them.

Here is Mom's Zesty Italian Chicken recipe for your enjoyment. It's on the program, it's tasty, and it's very easy to cook. If you don't want to BBQ in the winter (I love BBQ in the winter), then you can broil in the oven, or probably even bake.

- Chicken breasts and thighs
- put in big ziplock back (frozen chicken pieces)
- thaw in marinade (in fridge overnight)

marinade: Olive oil + garlic/parsely salt + Lawry's seasoned salt
- costco garlic powder with parsley (it comes that way -- with parsley)
- sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt

- get grill hot
- put chicken on a plate
- sprinkle with garlic/parsley powder, seasoned salt, thyme leaves, crushed rosemary

Then, grill sprinkled side down, and sprinkle other side. Cook and serve. Better undercooked slightly than over cooked and dry.

If the above doesn't work, just go find my Mom and ask her to make it for you.

KareNin

Re: Recipes that won't kill me so quickly?

Postby KareNin » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 10:16 am

Oh, EthanKitty!!!! I knew there was a good reason to love you, besides the fact that you're such a nice, easy pet to care for.

And now I know: It's because you eat like I do, or like I try to do when I'm feeling optimal. The past year has been pretty sucky and my weight gain proves it, but I want to get back on the Healthy Foods wagon, and I will be happy to look through my recipes and post a few. I know I am to blame for the White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies, the Caramel Apple Jam, and the German Chocolate Pie, but please believe me, they were missteps brought on by either requests from beloved family members, or else an unexpected bumper crop of apples. Generally, I don't make that kind of stuff for my own consumption.

ImAdhis will probably participate too. We've had a couple of discussions about healthy food and I know she would like to see some good ideas for super-healthy good stuff.

Good idea, Bro!!!!

And now, I have exhausted my allotment of exclamation points until next Monday, when the supply will be replenished. I am so happy.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 11:01 am

I heard that the proper allotment of exclamation points was 3 per life. Use them wisely. :)

KareNin wrote:And now I know: It's because you eat like I do, or like I try to do when I'm feeling optimal.

Yeah, so I can write a post up about some really good ideas. That's easy. I can ask for recipes and say phrases like "low fat" and "wild brown rice" and "quinoa". But, saying and doing are entirely different things. I'm wearing 50lbs of cheese and heavy whipping cream around my waist. If I truly believed the things I said to be true, I wouldn't be wearing it.

KareNin wrote:I am so happy.

Me too. It is invigorating to get started on healthy living. Who has the gumption to do it in December? Me? Never. But, I must. I have proof from my own experiences that eating healthy and exercising feels good, makes me think better/faster/longer and everything in my life generally goes better. Eating cheese and creamy sauces and sugar sweets tastes wonderful and makes me happy for a short time, but then I feel sluggy, sleepy, listless, depressed, dead. These are not things I have read in a book, they are things I have done and experienced myself.

It's all about remembering what I want the most and not trading it for what I want at the moment. It seems like every good decision in life is about that... long-term achievement in the future vs. short-term supposed happiness now.

Who else will help me achieve long-term happiness? Karenin and her exclamation points are both helping.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 01:43 pm

I made some lovely vegetable soup last night to last me all week, so I could eat healthy. It has some chicken in it, and also fire-roasted tomatoes, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, celery, and I don't remember what else. But then I came to work hungry, and the cafeteria brought us in some leftover breakfast pizza, and I ate it.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 03:19 pm

Oh, EthanKitty, what about raisins? If they're includes under "fruit," I may have a great salad recipe for you.

But I don't know what to do about my exceeding my lifetime allotment of exclamation points. I think I'll approach it as I used to when someone would start ragging on me for having 7 kids, and contributing to the overpopulation problem (back in the '70s, in the days of Zero Population Growth zealots). I would point out to them that I know many married couples who have either chosen not to have children or who are unable to have them, and I was just averaging them in with my total, so I was still under my allowable number.
Likewise, there are many people-- people more refined and subdued than I am-- who never use exclamation points in their writing. I submit that it is these people who are responsible for skewing the lifetime allotment toward an unnaturally low number (3), and these people should be more than happy to grant me their allotment.

Oh. Hahahaaaaa. Never mind. I just found a whole bunch of them, waiting inside my laptop to be released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1. <ahem>

Let me get to work on that salad recipe. What dietary program is the one you're using, EK?

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 10:04 am

KareNin wrote:Oh, EthanKitty, what about raisins? If they're includes under "fruit," I may have a great salad recipe for you.

Yes, raisins are great. In fact, they're in the dinner recipe for tonight, which I have included below.

KareNin wrote:Oh. Hahahaaaaa. Never mind. I just found a whole bunch of them, waiting inside my laptop to be released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1. <ahem>

You are driving the Ford Excursion of exclamation points. You should think about going more green, like a Prius, or maybe even a bicycle? If you don't stop soon, the next generation won't have any, and they're finding more and more ways to waste them! (texting, IM, email).

KareNin wrote:Let me get to work on that salad recipe. What dietary program is the one you're using, EK?

Okay, but you'll have to have it posted by 4pm, or I'm going without a salad again tonight. :) Greg Nigh wrote a book (a Quick Guide?) called Food Allergies & Elimination Dieting. My wife read it (about 20 pages), and it made sense to me, so we're trying it. I have a pdf copy of it, but I can't find a link to it. Some people are selling it, I just downloaded my copy for free.

I have very few healthy recipes, I have found. Sure, I can click on the internet and find something, but I'm looking for tried and true tasty recipes. I have not yet tried anything from the 365-day-crock-pot-lady, but that is what is for dinner tonight. I copied a dozen of her recipes and will be trying them. I love the crock pot. I was also pleased to find that many of her light and healthy recipes seem to follow what I wanted anyway. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Tonight, we're having:
Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup Recipe

I'm leaving out the tomatoes, which is sad, but I need to find out if I'm allergic to them. When I was a kid I found out that many people are allergic to tomatoes. I started telling people I was allergic, because I thought they tasted icky. I think my Mom eventually started believing that I was allergic. Crafty kid, I was.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 10:37 am

If I've posted these on here before, sorry. But they are yummy enough to talk about twice. And we all seem to love Alton, so this is incredibly appropriate. He recently lost a lot of weight, got healthier, and I've picked up a couple of these recipes and done them in real life, and I can tell you, they're honestly tasty, with the side benefit of being good for you too.

For something crunchy as a snack, I highly recommend these ginger almonds. At my workplace, we have a guy who has gone all "caveman" with his diet. So, if you can't club it over the head, pick it off a bush, or dig it out of the ground, he doesn't eat it. Nuts have figured very high on his list now, and I've brought these in, and he's devoured them. The only trick is portion size, he can only eat one ounce at a sitting, so I pulled out my scale and measured them out into one ounce per baggie, and the other guys at work looked at me like I was crazy, but caveman was really grateful, and ate them up. Everyone else liked them too, just not a single baggie at a time. :D Oh, and I just made a batch, put them in a pretty jar, and it's going in a basket as part of a homemade Christmas present. So yeah, good for that too.

Ginger Almonds

* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
* 1 dried arbol chile, stemmed and broken into small pieces
* 1 pound whole natural almonds
* 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Heat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Combine the ginger and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Heat the olive oil and sesame oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the arbol chile and cook, stirring frequently, until the chile begins to give off an aroma, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the almonds and cook, stirring frequently until lightly toasted, approximately 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook until reduced slightly and the pan looks dry, approximately 1 minute. Immediately remove the nuts to the large bowl and toss with the ginger mixture.

Spread the coated nuts into a single layer on a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the pan to a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes or until completely cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

I tried to modify that and add wasabi, and just never got it to work. If I put it in before the oven step, it all "cooked off" and you couldn't taste it at all. If I put it in at the end, as a final finishing step, the wasabi was too easily transferred from nut to hand to eyeballs. Yeah, I learned that one firsthand.

One other Alton recipe from his diet show, and I know I've talked about this one over in Blubbermetrics. My doctor was after me to get more protein in my breakfast, since it tends to be a carb-fest. And I've got a need to have breakfast be quick, easy and something I can eat while driving. So, I modified this smoothie recipe to fit me. Here's Alton's version.

* 4 ounces plain, low-fat soy milk
* 4 ounces acai, grape, or pomegranate juice
* 4 ounces frozen banana
* 4 ounces frozen strawberries
* 4 ounces frozen blueberries
* 4 ounces frozen peaches

Directions

Combine the soy milk, juice, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and the peaches in the carafe of a blender. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 8 hours.

In the morning, or when the fruit is partially thawed, put the carafe on the base of the blender, start at the lowest speed and slowly accelerate to medium, until you achieve a vortex. Blend on medium for 1 minute. Increase the speed to high and blend for an additional minute. Serve immediately.

Here's mine.

1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup pomegranate, pom-blueberry, or acai berry juice
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup some berry
1/2 cup some other berry or fruit

Defrost fruit in the fridge overnight, dump everything in a blender, blend on high for 1 minute while I frantically grab my son's lunch from the fridge & get it in his backpack. Pour into awesome shaker cup from GNC with the neatest whisk ball. Consume while dropping son off at daycare/flying down the interstate. ;)

OK, so I know "berry" and "other berry" aren't real specific, but that's the beauty with this, you can customize it to be just what you want. I found that I like bananas as a fruit, but I hate them in a smoothie, because they overpower everything else. So, I typically do either strawberry and a berry mix of blackberry, raspberry and blueberry. Because both are readily available in huge bags at Sam's Club in their frozen foods section. But my favorite is blackberry and fresh pineapple, with the pom-blueberry juice. Also, you can find specifically "smoothie fruit mix" in the frozen foods, but I personally avoid them because they all have mango, and I am allergic to mango. Also they usually have frozen pineapple, and I've found all the tough fibers in a pineapple come out like strings of plastic once frozen. Blech! Also, also, you don't have to have the special GNC cup, but I'm in love with that thing. It's got this little springy ball like a whisk in there, and just a couple shakes blends things to perfection, if you can't get around to drinking your smoothie the minute you make it. Also excellent for salad dressings, and my son LOVES it use it to make chocolate milk.

But seriously, that smoothie is just about perfection. You're getting antioxidants with the "purple" juices, lots of vitamins and fiber with the fruits and berries, I like the soy milk, I'm lactose intolerant. And then the scoop of protein powder gives you some extra oomph to start your day. Studies are showing that having protein in your breakfast helps charge up your metabolism to allow your body to burn more calories all day long. So, that is a great way to start the day.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Dec, 2010 02:47 pm

I've been searching all my files (i.e., half a dozen partially-used spiral-bound, purse-sized notebooks from the past 10 years or so) to locate the salad recipe I was thinking of. Can't find it, but here is an approximation, to the best of my memory:

BUCKEYE HALL OF FAME AND CAFE SALAD

1 cup mixed spring greens, arugula, and radicchio (obviously, use whatever salad greens you like)
1 Tbs. Craisins
1 Tbs. pecans (theirs were sort of candied, which you wouldn't want)
2 or 3 sliced fresh strawberries
(1 Tbs. feta cheese crumbles)
2 sliced fresh mushrooms
(top with garlic croutons)

Drizzle with a sweet-and-sour dressing
Come to think of it, there is a lot wrong with this salad, as far as being made up of things you are trying to avoid. But I did run across this recipe from Whole Foods Market today, if you want to try a different main dish.

CELEBRATION LENTIL LOAF

1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup apple cider (non-alcoholic)
2 teaspoons poultry seasonings
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Put lentils in a small saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Put bulgur in a small saucepan with 1½ cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer until bulgur is tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.

In a medium skillet, combine mushrooms, onion, cider, poultry seasoning, and salt. Cover and simmer over medium heat until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until just chopped. Scrape into a bowl and fold in lentils, bulgur, oats, bell pepper, and parsley.

Preheat oven to 375° F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pack lentil mixture into pan and smooth the top. Bake until edges brown slightly, about 1 hour. Cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert it onto a serving plate. Remove parchment and cut the loaf into slices. Call me when it's ready to eat.
The Lentil Loaf was pictured next to a beautiful bowl of whole green beans, so this may have influenced my palate. But it sounded really good to me.

I'm sorry about the exclamation points. I'll try not to be so wasteful henceforth.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:32 pm

So. I was wondering how everyone is doing with their various healthy eating programmes?

I am full of baloney. Not literally; I mean, on the Board I have great intentions, and I really do love to eat the good, nutritious things I say I love to eat. But I am so lazy / tired / sick / old that I don't have the energy to follow through with my good intentions very often. So I don't end up cooking and eating like I know I should, and like I know makes me feel healthier. I reach for something ready-to-eat, and a lot of the time, it's NOT something that I would really choose to eat if I felt better, you know? And then I feel rotten as a result.

EthanKitty, are you there? How are you doing?

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 07:50 am

Hey there! We're doing better here on the healthy eating front. About a month ago my hubby went to his doctor for an annual checkup, and his cholesterol was high, so the doc gave him a chewing out, and prescription strength fish oil pills, and told him to reduce the fats in his diet, big time. And then set another appointment for 4 months later, when he's going to take blood and test him again. If it hasn't improved significantly, he's going to have to go on stronger meds for it. Well, the hubby hates meds, so he's gotten more serious about the diet. And I've gotten more serious about mine in support. So, there are a lot more home cooked meals happening here (the working from home 3 days a week has helped with that a lot as well!) and better choices when we do eat out. Also, my hubby has always been a picky eater, so this diet change is getting him to try some foods he was on the fence or, or hasn't tried in a long time. He ate winter squash the other night with dinner, and liked it! And he's always told me he gets "burned out" on turkey very easily, and only wants it at major holidays, and can't stand ground turkey, but he sure enjoyed the turkey meatloaf I made on Monday! He's eating beef maybe one or two times a week now, where before lunch was often a hamburger, and dinner out was usually a steak, or ribs. Now it's a salad or grilled chicken. I really think his doctor is going to be pleasantly surprised at his next appointment. And, as a side benefit, he's lost like 12 lbs so far, and I've lost around 6. You can really tell it on him, he looks so much slimmer, his jeans are getting baggy! So, good for him!

For a "healthy" treat, I made these oatmeal cookies the other day. It's a slight modification of Alton's recipe, yet again. They turned out really good, and with all those oats in them, really good for you!

16 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature (Alton calls for 10 oz.!)
6 ounces dark brown sugar
3 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bag butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spread oats into a single layer on a half sheet pan. Bake until lightly toasted, about 20 minutes . Cool the oats for 2 to 3 minutes on the pan. (I did mine in 2 batches in a pan on the stove.)

Grind 8 ounces of toasted oats in a food processor until the consistency of whole wheat flour, about 3 minutes. Add the baking powder, cinnamon and salt to the food processor and pulse 2 to 3 times to combine. Set aside.

Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed using the paddle attachment until light in color, about 3 minutes. Stop once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to the lowest speed and add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Stop once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the all purpose flour, a little at a time if the batter needs it. Mine was just too watery without some flour. Add the remaining toasted oats and the butterscotch chips. Stir to combine.

Scoop the dough with a 1 1/2-ounce disher onto parchment-lined half sheet pans, leaving 2 inches between each mound. Bake until the cookies begin to brown around the edges, 12 to14 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking. Cool on the pans for 2 minutes, and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely. Consume.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 10:00 am

Again I ask, why oh why are all Alton's recipes in ounces instead of cups and such? I can adapt, but it just seems so snooty or something.

But the recipe looks good.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 03:47 pm

Well now I've gone and done it... I couldn't find my granola recipe last night, so I went online and checked the ingredients from about 40 different granola recipes. I decided to sort of just compile in my head what they had in common, and what else I wanted to include.

The result is that I now have about 18 cups of freshly-baked nutty, fruity granola.

Oy.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 05:23 pm

Oy, indeed! The good thing is that maybe by the time it's all gone, you won't have any desire to ever eat it again, so you won't have to save the recipe.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 06:03 pm

:lol: The dumb thing is, the taste of it is not really all that outstanding, so I've been trying to tweak it (after the fact--not really very successfully) all day. I think it needs pumpkin seeds, and I don't have any. So the Giant Mountain O' Granola keeps getting bigger by increments, but not really much better.

I think I should just stop before it takes over the kitchen.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 06:18 pm

Throw in some chocolate chips.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:43 pm

ETHAN BECKSTEAD, are you still with us?

Prepare to report, sir!

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:37 pm

In answer to Momma's question, Alton does ounces instead of cups because it is more accurate. With some ingredients, especially flour, one cup does not necessary equal one cup. Flour can settle, or you can pack it, and then you've overfilled the cup. But one ounce is always one ounce.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 02:58 pm

I wonder if EthanBeckstead is still around? I hope he didn't make good on his threat to actually die. We didn't really do that well at healthy recipes, did we?

I'm just talking to myself, I guess.

Return to “Recipes”