tamales

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

tamales

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 02:19 pm

I don't see another thread where this would be appropriate, so I'm starting a new one. The thing is, I love tamales, the real Mexican ones, made by little Mexican women in their kitchens. I thought about making my own, but the way they talk about it taking all day, I just didn't have the energy to even think about it. But why, I wondered, couldn't it be made in casserole form? All my coworkers assured me that it could NOT. Period. I looked around on the internet and found that other people have done it, so I decided to find out for myself.

Well, it can. I cooked a pork roast in the CROCK POT all night Monday, then poured off most of the fat and juice and added spices and green enchilada sauce and cooked it all day Tuesday. I spread the prepared masa in a baking dish, scooped up the meat with a slotted spoon and spread it over the masa, and then put more masa on top. The hardest part was that top layer, because you have to kind of shape it in your hands, in pieces. I got it a little too thick in places. Then I put it in a larger pan, added hot water to the outer pan, and covered the whole thing with foil and put it in the oven for about an hour. It was moist and delicious.

(Edited to keep your houses from burning down.)
Last edited by Momma Snider on Wed 08 Dec, 2010 03:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMD

Re: tamales

Postby KMD » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 02:50 pm

OK, wait. You cooked a pork roast ALL NIGHT in a MICROWAVE?!?! This is hurting my brain! Hence the caps and exclamation points!! (side note: Karenin, can I borrow some of yours, I'm afraid I'm going to need more to get through this post.) Then you continued to cook all day Tuesday, and this was the Easier way to make tamales?!?!!!!!!

I think I'm glad I'm an east coast gal, where Taco Bell is as close to authentic Mexican as I can get*!!!

* Not true, there are real Mexican places around here. I just personally don't hold authentic Mexican food near and dear to my heart.

I mean, go on with your bad self, and I'm glad these turned out so well for you!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 03:18 pm

Okay, I edited. It was a crock pot. An old dented one with only one handle and a surface crack in the crock, but a crock pot nonetheless. Go get that roast out of the microwave, NOW.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 08:12 am

Ooooooh. I love me some tamales. Down here in San Antonio, I see signs all over the place for tamales, especially with it being so close to Christmas. I may have to check into how much the various Mexican restaurants down here want for some of their take-away tamales.

Also, the tamale casserole idea sounds amazing, Momma. I may have to look into doing something like that. After all, I love me some enchilada casserole (or Mexican lasagna, depending on who you ask), and I love tamales, so it sounds like a match made in Mexican Heaven.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 08:39 am

Momma, when I lived in Costa Rica my host family made homemade tamales at Christmas, and although it did take most of the day it was actually fun to have everyone in the kitchen helping. Kind of like when you make Christmas cookies and it takes all day, but everyone likes using the cookie cutter, or putting on the sprinkles or frosting.

My job, since I was the n00b American in the house, was to be the official leaf cleaner. Costa Ricans wrap their tamales in banana tree leaves, as opposed to the cornhusks you usually see on the Mexican variety. Those leaves are friggin' huge and need to be wiped down with a sponge and cut to size. That actual job was dirty and not so fun, but being part of the process was. And so was eating those tamales for weeks afterwards... YUUUUMMMMMM!!!

Your casserole idea sounds tasty too. I will have to try that sometime when I'm craving tamales in, like, May, and can't find them ANYWHERE.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 12:25 pm

I love Tamales. That sounds like a fun recipe.

But, I can get bunches of tamales for about $1 each, sometimes less... way faster. Sometimes I wonder about the cleanliness of the home kitchen it came from, but hey... I've only been violently sick from random-home-made-bought-on-the-street tamales once, and it only lasted about 5 hours, so it's worth the risk. mmmm.... tamales.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 12:36 pm

Definitely faster to buy them, but it's not like it took much of my personal time, what with using the crock pot. I love the idea of the whole family gathering to make stuff, but it doesn't actually happen that way in my house, so this was a nice alternative.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Mar, 2011 02:10 pm

Someone brought me a veggie lasagna while I was recovering, and she just gave me the recipe. It uses a lot of ingredients that I have never used before (including fresh garlic, believe it or not) but nothing weird, so I might make it sometime. It was really, really good.

1/2 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 can vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and pepper
1 can (14 oz.) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and quartered
1 10-oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and sqeezed dry
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 jar roasted garlic Alfredo sauce
12 no-cook lasagna noodles (regular ones work just as well without cooking)
3 cups shredded mozzarella
1cup crumbled tomato and feta cheese
1/8 eachtsp garlic powder, oregano, parsley flakes, and basil

Saute onion and garlic in oil 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth, rosemary, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add veggies, simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce.
Assemble like lasagna, alternating noodles, sauce, and mozzarella. Top with feta, garlic powder, organo, parsley, and basil. Cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 10:26 pm

This looks soooooo gooooood. (I found myself with a surplus of lower-case vowels, and wanted to get rid of a few in as subtle a manner as possible.)

I firmly believe in buying fresh garlic in embarrassing amounts and using it liberally in almost everything. I don't always actually do that, because I'm lame-o, but I do believe in it.

Also, the tamales look very tempting. I think I might go ahead and bundle 'em up in cornhusks if I make them in the summertime, when corn husks are plentiful, though.

Taco Bell is a giant zit on the nose of Mexican food. Viva Chipotle!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Return to “Recipes”