how do you cook your Easter ham?

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

how do you cook your Easter ham?

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:21 pm

You'll notice I didn't post this until after Easter, mostly because I'm always going to cook mine the way I always have: take off the wrapper, slice off a piece or two and pop them in my mouth right then, put it in a pan, and put it in the oven. Take it out when it's hot, slice it, pop a few more pieces in my mouth, and put it on the table.

But my friend (the one who can't cook anything without following a recipe precisely) was all in a panic about having to do the ham for Easter, because she'd never done it before. She found a recipe and she told me it said you have to trim the fat, and then score the outside, and make a mustard and brown sugar glaze, which she didn't think she'd like anyway. I don't know how she ended up doing it, but I want to know how you all do it.

robcan2

Re: how do you cook your Easter ham?

Postby robcan2 » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm

Go to Costco
Get the smallest spiral cut ham they have
Put it in the oven face down
Spread the glaze that comes in the packet every once in a while, while it cooks
Take it out and eat it

We didn't do one this year though. We just got back from California Saturday night and did most of our Easter festivities there. Besides we didn't have a chance to go grocery shopping for a fancy Easter dinner and my wife didn't want to go to her aunt's house (nor did I, actually :)).
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:23 pm

See, I don't like those spiral cut hams anyway. I don't like glaze on my ham at all, but I know some people do. I don't like sweet with salty.

Well, except for in the case of chocolate covered pretzels...

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 02:19 pm

Momma Snider wrote:See, I don't like those spiral cut hams anyway. I don't like glaze on my ham at all, but I know some people do. I don't like sweet with salty.

Well, except for in the case of chocolate covered pretzels...

I dislike most ham because of how salty it is. This year my wife bought a couple of packages of "ham steak" from Costco, cut them into quarters and baked them in a pineapple glaze type stuff. I think that's the culinary term. It was very tasty, and not too salty at all.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:43 am

I've got a recipe somewhere for a clone of the Honeybaked Ham, and it's like you were describing above Momma. Cut off extra fat, cross-cut the meat, cook in the oven, then apply a glaze (although I think this one was more brown sugar and molasses based) and then you took a brulee torch to it, to carmelize the crust. In the end, it tasted really good, but not much better than just buying a ham at the store, dumping the glaze packet that came with it, and popping that in the oven for a while. So, ultimately not worth the effort. But, it did give me the excuse to buy a brulee torch, which I have used multiple times for creme brulee, bruleeing bananas, and some light welding. :D

This year I did a Smithfield ham with Paula Deen's face on it, and it had a "crunchy glaze" that was really, really good. But, I also did a turkey breast in a crock pot, and it was the STAR. I brined it, then crock-potted it, then finished it in a hot oven, just to crisp the skin. It was the juiciest bird I've ever had in my life!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 09:11 am

I'm trying to figure out why I dislike the idea of a glaze on ham, and I think I've narrowed it down to when I was 17 and I went to a boyfriend's mom's house for dinner. She had glazed a ham, but she also had stuck cloves all over it (in the little corners of the diamond shapes) and I don't know if she forgot to take them out, or if I was supposed to know not to eat them, but whatever the reason, I kept biting into them. AWFUL. It almost cured me of ham (get it?) forever, but in the long run it just made me not want to eat any addition to the basic ham.

One of my coworkers made a glaze of maple syrup, grape jelly, salsa, barbecue sauce, and one other thing that I can't remember. They loved it, but it sounded really awful to me.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:41 pm

Momma Snider wrote:One of my coworkers made a glaze of maple syrup, grape jelly, salsa, barbecue sauce, and one other thing that I can't remember. They loved it, but it sounded really awful to me.

I have a friend who loves this glaze, only he uses it with those little weenies, not ham. He swears that it is so good, but when I tried it, I just thought it was okay.

I prefer simplicity, such as wrapping them in bacon and adding just a simple brown sugar glaze.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:13 pm

I love a sweet glaze on my ham!
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:00 pm

Last year at Easter time, I was not eating any meat, and I'm still trying to eat it very, very sparingly and infrequently, but I have to tell you, this year we were at April & Steve's house for Easter Dinner, and everything was so impossibly delicious that I made a total pig of myself. Tom put some ham on my plate before I could tell him not to, so I thought I'd just take a token bite. What? What?

I had seconds. Maybe thirds.

Then I had a slice of the perfectly-roasted lamb, and I have always loved lamb but I never really knew what it was SUPPOSED to taste like, before this. I tell you, it was so tender, and so tasty, and so delicious I can imagine why folks think vegetarians are really missing the boat.
Also, I can readily see why people who have eaten meals cooked by my sweet April agree that she needs to start a catering business. (I think she is going to, eventually.) Every single dish was done to perfection, seasoned impeccably, and everything was all done and hot at the same time. She is marvelous.

The ham had a killer sweet glaze, and I do not know whether this was because of something April did or it came that way from Costco, or what. I do know it was spiral-sliced, so I *think* maybe it came from Costco, because she does a lot of major food shopping there. But it was the best ham I have ever had, period.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 01:32 pm

So this year Rocky finally told me he prefers canned ham. I don't like it as well, but that's a good thing, and it's a whole lot less mess to clean up. Our potato salad was good, with lots of color from eggs that were slightly cracked when we dyed them.

And in the rush after getting home from church at 4:45, I decided to make the strawberry shortcake from a cake mix, with the waffle iron! Very quick, tasted good. I made the mix exactly as directed, but I think I would maybe leave out one of the eggs next time and maybe add more oil.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 09:49 pm

Huh. This year for Easter we had lamb at my husband's family's dinner and turkey at my family's dinner. Also, no deviled eggs (sad!) because no one dyed any eggs this year.

Now I really want a ham sandwich and a deviled egg.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:53 am

This year we bought a very small ham at the grocery store and a can of pineapple rings. We wanted it to warm up quickly, so we sliced it and alternated layers of sliced ham and pineapple rings in a 9x13 pan. We made a glaze with the pineapple juice and brown sugar, and we poured that over everything and put it in the oven until it was hot. It turned out very tasty!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:09 am

I used to do something very similar to that for just a regular mid-week dinner. Get a package of ham steaks, pop those in a 9x13 pan, cover them with brown sugar and the juice from a can of pineapple, add the pineapple too, and a few cloves, bake until warm.

And, as anti-clove as Momma is, I am pro-clove. I love those little flavorful things. I used to suck on them all the time when I was a kid! Still do sometimes. In the evenings, I make my husband and I big mugs of apple cider, with a cinnamon stick and a clove or two. Mmmmm!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:24 am

Cloves and cilantro are the two things that just make me shudder to even consider. Oh, and black licorice, and those marzipan See's candies. there are other things I don't like, but those four things are so bad (for me) that the thought of them gags me.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:32 pm

And this is where we differ Momma. Cloves, cilantro and black licorice are three of my most favorite flavors. And I've never had marzipan See's candies, but I bet I'd like them too...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:51 pm

I wonder if people's taste buds are different or if it's something in the brain? There are some things that I like that I can recognize a taste that could be unpleasant, like strong cheeses, but I enjoy them anyway. And I used to absolutely shudder at the thought of coconut, but after I turned 30 for some reason that changed. There are still some foods that coconut can ruin for me, like fruit salad or sprinkled on top of a cake, but then it's more the texture that bothers me.

Anyway, KMD, I'm sure we can find some middle ground, like chocolate!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:18 pm

Absolutely! And I can even meet you on the strong cheeses.

Am I the only one who thinks that chocolate and onions go well together? Whenever I eat something very onion-filled, afterwards I just crave chocolate!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:56 am

I was thinking about onions after this discussion of foods I can't stand. Onions don't fall into that category at all, although I don't like a strong onion flavor just because it overpowers the other flavors. I tend to avoid onions, though, because the taste (and smell) lingers for so long. But eating chocolate afterwards might just solve the problem!

Return to “Recipes”