Brussels Sprouts. Brussels Sprouts?!?!?! Brussels Sprouts!

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Re: Brussels Sprouts. Brussels Sprouts?!?!?! Brussels Sprout

Postby KMD » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:52 am

Momma, it amazes me that you never used fresh garlic! We used to grow our own when I was a kid, and then mom would braid the tops to keep them all together to dry, and use it for months. But don't worry, we use the powdered stuff too. Then again, I never used black pepper until I was out of the house and married, and then realized "hey, this stuff is good!" because my mom is allergic to it, so we never had it in the house. I also had no clue about fresh ginger, that you could even buy it in a store, until I was married. I just thought it came in a little tin, and dry and powdery.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:02 pm

I finally did the Brussels sprouts thing, and they were delicious, even though I used garlic powder and forgot to use the EVOO, even though I had remembered to buy some. I know they will be even better when I do it right, and I still have half a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts to work with. I also thought of buying some fresh green beans, or some frozen ones that are uncut, because I'll bet that would be good, too.

In the meantime, I'm eating Mele Macs, Toffee Coated Macademia Nuts Covered in Luscious Milk Chocolate (and then rolled in powdered sugar, although it doesn't say that on the label). I brought them to work in hopes that someone else will help me eat them.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:25 pm

Mele Macs sound suspiciously like something Rocky brought you from Hawaii; "Mele" meaning "Merry," as in "Mele Kalikimaka." That, of course, is the thing to say, on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day. That's the island greeting that we send to you, from the land where palm trees sway.

But then, that would mean that those candies (they are from The Debbil, too, although I don't mean Rocky--he was just the innocent gift-giver) are called Merry Macs. And that makes me think of that little ditty the kids used to sing on the playground (jumping rope, maybe?) about Miss Merry Mac, Mac, Mac, all dressed in black, black, black; with silver buttons, buttons, buttons, all down her back, back, back.

(And this is why people don't bring ME gifts from The Islands...)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:50 pm

True, they are from Hawaii. It was his Hawaii architect's wife that sent them, though. They are delicious, I'll tell you that!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 10:00 pm

I was trying to distract my mind from imagining how yummy they must be, by filling it with unnecessary nonsense and fluff, but then I saw that you responded to my post, and I clicked on the comment thread, and then I saw it...

"... I'm eating Mele Macs, Toffee Coated Macademia Nuts Covered in Luscious Milk Chocolate (and then rolled in powdered sugar, although it doesn't say that on the label)."

TOFFEE COATED!!! I totally missed that little detail first time around! OH MY WORD. Now I won't be able to get to sleep, because of all the drool building up in my mouth. Stop! Stop, Karen! Think of something disgusting!

Ok. Whew...

Well, it was Rush Limbaugh, but at least it worked.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 10:40 am

I didn't notice the toffee, either, and in fact don't really notice it when I eat them, but it does add an extra yumminess to the chocolate. And here they sit on my desk, and people don't seem to be eating them nearly as much as I had hoped.

But someone just brought in a bag of orange-grapefruit hybrids, and they are SO GOOD that I'm hoping the chocolate won't be too tempting today.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 01:06 pm

I would definitely help you eat the toffee macadamia nut things if I were there, Momma.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 01:26 pm

Thank you. You're such a good helper!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 12:23 pm

This month the same architect's wife sent Macadamia Hershey's Kisses. Who knew??? And next month I'm going, too, so the possibilities are endless. We're going to dinner at the Maui Stake President's home (President Wunder) and I know that will be good, and the chocolate architect and his wife are taking us to dinner for rocky's birthday one night.

But, to keep on topic, I brought Brussels sprouts for lunch today.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 08:43 am

I brought them to work again today, only of course when I took them out of the oven I had to eat one on my way out the door, so now I have a slightly burned tongue and a slight garlic breath. Not a bad beginning!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 01:08 pm

I ate my Brussels sprouts for lunch a few minutes ago. They were not good. I think maybe they were too big, so even though I cut them in half, they didn't cook enough, and maybe getting too big is like when zucchini gets too big, it gets tough and nasty.

and someone just walked through the office and said it smells like a dead rat in here. I pointed out my Brussels sprouts, and she said, "Oh, yes, that's what it is."

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 08:19 pm

She was obviously jealous of your garlicky, dead-rat-smelling, nasty, tough Brussels sprouts. I mean, who WOULDN'T be?

Extensive research has led me to conclude that there is an optimal size for Br.sprouts, and it is somewhere between Big & Tough, and Not Quite Growed Up. About the size a Tootsie Roll Pop used to be. Maybe 1" in diameter...?

If they're too small, they tend to be tightly packed leaves that don't cook adequately and don't have a well-developed flavor. If they get too big, it's like Momma said, they tend to be tough and kind of bitter and nasty. The right size, though, and you have yourself a Tasty Treat.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 09:01 am

I didn't eat them all yesterday, took them home and put them in the fridge. This morning I cooked them some more, and I will plan to eat them cold rather than smell up the office again. And next time I'll just buy the frozen ones that are a more reasonable size.

Return to “Recipes”