Brussels Sprouts. Brussels Sprouts?!?!?! Brussels Sprouts!

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KareNin

Brussels Sprouts. Brussels Sprouts?!?!?! Brussels Sprouts!

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:26 pm

A Facebook friend just posted that she finally tried Brussels sprouts again, after claiming that she hated them all her life (her husband encouraged her to give them another try), and she said they weren't bad, and cautioned her mom not to faint.

I have been eating them frequently of late, and I want to share my Method with you, because they are SO GOOD I honestly would rather have a bowl full of these than a bowl full of candy. Or cake pops. Or any of those non-nutritious and fattening traitors to good health.

Anyway...

Fresh ones, not too tiny and not too big, are best. But frozen ones (plain, not in Butter Sauce) will work all right if you at least partially thaw and drain them.

If using fresh, trim stems and discard any loose, brown, or damaged leaves. Leave whole, or else cut into halves.

Peel and chop as many cloves of fresh garlic as you like. I have done as many as six and it was really tasty. But I fully understand if you're not a big fan of fresh garlic. Two, then, okay?

Put sprouts and pieces of garlic into an oven-safe casserole pan and spread them out so they're not piled up.
Sprinkle with a little bit of freshly-ground sea salt and coarsely-ground black peppercorns.
Drizzle with a modest amount of EVOO, and toss so all the sprouts are coated evenly.

Roast them in a hot (400-450° F.) oven for about 25 minutes. [You may want to turn them over a time or two if you have a Stoopid Old Oven like mine that cooks things unevenly.]

(What am I saying? NOBODY else in the world has to use a Stoopid Old Oven like mine.)
So, never mind. Don't even read that last part.

When they emerge from the oven, taste them. You will leap into the air and shout, and maybe even slap yo' Grandmama. That's how good they are. No need to thank me, please. Just enjoy them. Or if you still don't like Brussels sprouts, please bring them to me.
Last edited by KareNin on Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Re: Brussels Sprouts. Brussels Sprouts?!?!?! Brussels Sprout

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:52 pm

The thing I've noticed about brussels sprouts is that, like so many vegetables, it can be bitter. I have no idea how to tell if it's going to be bitter or not, but I'm convinced that people who absolutely hate them must have had a bitter one. Same with celery and zucchini.

I've only ever had them steamed. I'm sure KareNin's recipe will make them even better.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:19 pm

I use essentially the same recipe to roast my broccoli. YUM.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 11:25 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure of the science involved (I don't watch cooking shows), but the roasting at a high heat and the oil seem to bring out a natural sweetness in them that I had never detected before when I steamed them.

Plus, the garlic. Ohhhhhh, the garlic!

If I ever told you guys the list of common foods that everyone uses in everything, that I never even knew EXISTED growing up, you'd think I was lying. I had never had fresh garlic until after my older sister got married, and her husband taught her how to make Caesar Salad. (Old School Style, where you rub the wooden bowl with the cut garlic clove, tear up a head of Romaine, use fresh Parmesan, and add in anchovies and a raw egg. I know! It's a wonder any of us made it to adulthood alive.)

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:33 am

I like to roast asparagus that way, but I haven't tried it with the garlic. I'll have to try that next time. Sounds yummy.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:58 am

I had never had fresh garlic, either, and still haven't, except once about a year ago when I happened to see some at the 99 cent store. I really like it when I eat it when someone else has cooked it, but I don't cook things that use it. When I make garlic bread, I use powder.

But that's going to change, because I'm making Garlic Brussels Sprouts as soon as I go to the store!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 10:42 am

Woo hoo!! And if you guys don't like them, can I come over and eat your leftovers? (In a Perfect World, this would be entirely possible.)

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:31 am

A few years ago, I bought a bag of Brussels sprouts and a bundle of huge asparagus at Costco and roasted them in almost this exact same manner. I trimmed the sprouts and cut them in half, then I chopped the asparagus spears into pieces that were about the same size as the halved sprouts. Then I roasted them in the oven with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I didn't add freshly minced garlic (I'll have to do that in the future), but it was still excellent. After the roasting was done, I literally put them in a bowl and ate them like popcorn. Lisapants refused to even try the sprouts, unfortunately. Maybe I'll make this again with garlic and see if I can get Babyloo to try some. Ondipants is a very picky eater and I doubt he would get anywhere near something that green.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:15 am

That's probably where I got the idea to do that with the Brussels sprouts, Adam. I'm Old & Decrepit, you know, so sometimes the source of my inspirations escapes my mind. I'll give you the credit and the thanks, because I would never have thought to fix them this way on my own.

The cloves of garlic, though, are not minced, but are just kind of clumsily cut into a few pieces each, and tossed in among the sprouts. I love the taste of roasted garlic, and these two flavors just seem to be made to be together... ♥♥♥

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm

My BIL cooked brussel sprouts this way a few years ago at Thanksgiving dinner, and I fell in LOVE with them! They seriously remind me of popcorn, in that the roasty-toasty flavor makes me think of slightly burned, but still good popcorn. And once I start popping these in my mouth, I seriously cannot stop. I wanted to make them this year for Christmas, but the grocery store was out of fresh brussel sprouts, so I bought frozen, and then totally forgot to make them. They're still in there, maybe that will be dinner tonight!

I've also been known to do the same thing, but with onion, zucchini and carrots. Super good, and nice for something "a little different" on the side.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:11 am

Karen, whomever the idea came from, enjoy!

KMD, I have found that most dense vegetables respond very well to roasting in this way. Essentially, anything that someone on the Food Network has said would be good for grilling on a BBQ usually does really well (in my opinion, much better than on the BBQ) with this olive oil, salt, and throwing it in the oven under the broiler method. For anniversary dinners or other special occasions that we've done while trying to stay on our budget, I have done whole asparagus spears, halved mushrooms, and sliced red and green bell peppers this same way, and they were great. I am sure that cauliflower, broccoli, and other thick, heavy veggies would do just as well.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:53 pm

Ahhhh, dang it; looking for the "Like" button for Adam's post...

I agree! I LOVE veggies, and I had never roasted them in my whole life before the past few months. (Not even potatoes!) (I know!)

Yep, definitely a fan rewarding broccoli, asparagus, peppers, onions, and Brussels sprouts, with judicious use of the EVOO, salt (I enjoy grinding it fresh, too), cracked black pepper, and obscene amounts of Chunky Garlic Nuggets. Yum.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 10:51 pm

For a second I saw chicken nuggets in your last post, Karenin. And I had just seen that pink goo article you posted on FB. :)

EVOO as an abbreviation has stumped me in the past, but that's because I always read it, and frankly, evoo sounds like some kind of fad food additive.

Also, I agree that roasted vegetables are awesome!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 08:35 pm

*hangs head in shame*
I was tryin' to be all hip and cool by calling it EVOO. In real life, I call it "olive oil" and of course it is Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, because in my opinion, there can never be a surplus of virginity in today's world.

But that pink goo----UGH. I seriously almost threw up in my mouth when I first read that article. And again tonight, when I was telling Dennis and Jon to read the article. (They won't, probably, but I felt it my duty As Their Mom to at least tell them why it's wise of them to shun McDonald's, as they decided to do, on their own, years ago.)

And I forgot a word in my last post. Well, Gmail ate it when I was revising the sentence and I didn't notice until now. So, here: of

This has been the most awesomest HappyBirthdayToMe that I can remember in a long time. Thank you, everybody who wished me a HB on FB and twitter and here. I love you guys.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 09:29 pm

Concerning that article, you should check it out on Snopes, particularly the paragraph about mechanically separated meat.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:11 am

Yes, I just got word from another Facebook friend that Snopes.com has an entry about that article, and I am going to go read it and then craft an apology to anyone who was misled by my passing on an unchecked article.

I usually do check this kind of stuff out if it seems too ghastly to be true, but in this case, I didn't because I had a lot of sweet birthday messages to read, and my "sitting bone" starts to ache if I sit at the computer too long. So I let it slide. I'm a bad, bad former-journalism-major-who-switched-to-Humanities-when-it-became-apparent-that-journalism-just-ain't-what-it-used-to-be-and-this-article-proves-it, person. (I feel like Derek Zoolander. Almost lost my train of thought, there for a minute.)

ScottyDR, if you;re reading this, I am sorry for reposting misleading stuff yesterday. In my defense, Jon (the son who graduated with honors from Columbus Culinary college and is now a certified Chef) told me that he wasn't going to read the article with the pink goo, "Because I already KNOW what horrible stuff 'mechanically separated chicken' is; I have to use it sometimes in my job because it's cost-effective and that's what managers care about. But I wouldn't eat that [expletive deleted]!"

But I will honor my promise. Thanks, Laurie.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:29 am

My brain wouldn't let me believe it when I saw it on Facebook, but I actually thought it might be true. That conflict within my own brain was why I decided to Snope it.

I don't eat fast food anyway, but only because I never got in the habit. First, we didn't HAVE it here when I was growing up, and then once I was an adult, I had kids and it was too expensive. The fact that it's not terribly healthy, in general, probably wouldn't stop me if the other factors weren't there.

But I usually just don't think much about how food is made. I guess I figure that if it's sold to millions of people, it must not be harmful, no matter how it's processed. Kind of a head-in-the-sand attitude, I know. I don't even like to know that anything I eat was once breathing and mooing or clucking.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:32 pm

No problem KareNin. Apologies not required but appreciated. As I indicated on Facebook, my only real point was that the truth about fast food is scary enough without the extra little bit about McNuggets being made from mechanically separated poultry. But my beef (chicken?) wasn't with you (or anyone else that has shared the information), it is with the original person that made the claim (whether it be out of malice or just laziness).

Card

Postby Card » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:33 pm

And I would like to make clear that I did figure out that evoo was olive oil, so don't worry about that. I'm just saying that it stumped me for a bit. Besides, I think the context of it always made sense.

I just ate, but this board makes me so hungry all the time because we talk about delicious foods a lot.

Also, I like steamed Brussels sprouts with Hollandaise sauce.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:26 pm

Olive oil is another thing I've never used. I like Rachael Ray, though, and she uses it, so I really should. I don't use much oil of any kind, really, but I know they say olive oil is better for you than no oil.

Return to “Recipes”