Make vs Buy

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

KMD

Make vs Buy

Postby KMD » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 10:00 am

I'm curious, what do people insist on making from scratch, that most people would just purchase at the grocery store? I know a lot of you are dyed in the wool cake icing makers. I always manage to screw them up, so I buy the little plastic white tub at the store.

This weekend, my son wanted to try and make peanut butter from scratch. And any time he is interested in food, I support it. And I remembered Alton Brown (sigh) making cashew butter on his show once, so I knew it was not a big deal. So, we did this.

2 cups dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
2-3 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt

Put the peanuts, 2 tbsp of canola oil, and the salt in a blender, and blend it up. You have to pulse a little at the beginning to get it to go, but once it starts to spin and liquify, it's all good. If it's too thick, you can stream in that last tbsp of oil as it blends, and it becomes super smooth.

This tasts way better than Jif or Skippy or whatever is on the shelf at the store. I'm storing it in the fridge, to prevent spoiling. I really want to do this with cashews or almonds next, but for my son, peanut butter is IT.

So, what do you guys make, that makes everyone else scratch their head and say "Why?"
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Re: Make vs Buy

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm

There are a few things that we make instead of buying. For instance:

Taco seasoning
Fajita seasoning
Pasta sauce
BBQ sauce
Spice rubs
Lemonade
Limeade
Chocolate chip cookies

I am not counting full meals, which we often make from scratch. For instance, I have never had a store-bought lasagne that could touch our homemade stuff with a thousand-foot pole.

For your homemade peanut butter, have you considered using actual peanut oil instead of the nearly flavorless canola oil? It might give your butter an even better peanut kick.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:21 pm

My daughter and daughter-in-law make peanut butter, and I love it. I don't have a blender or food processor, so I can't make it, but Laura said it has a lot less calories than storebought, too.

I guess cake frosting is the main thing for me. There's really nothing to mess up, if you just keep it simple, like I do! I like the canned stuff okay, but to me it has an almost chemical taste to it. I make my own cakes, would never even think of buying one, but I use cake mixes, so I don't think that counts. My husband really likes the commercial icing on storebought cakes, but I really, really don't, so he's the loser on this one.

I love macaroni and cheese made from scratch, but I rarely eat it anyway. I keep Kraft on hand for when the kids are here.

I make pizza, but I use canned spaghetti sauce, so that doesn't count, either.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:22 pm

I make lasagna, too. And cookies of any kind.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:23 pm

This sounds really good, I like that there is no sugar added. I'll have to try this.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:43 pm

For the record, the peanut butter that gets made at our house follows this recipe:

Honey-roasted Planters peanuts

Blend them up until they're creamy.

The first time we made it, we put some oil in like the recipe said to, but we didn't love the texture and whatnot. So the next time, we did it with just the peanuts, and it was amazing. I don't know if that works better in our Blendtec than it would in other blenders, but wow, it is the best thing ever.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 02:59 pm

I've made or now make almost everything we eat from scratch, with the exception of condiments and salty snacks, and even then I've tried my hand at making pickles and salad dressing. Sometimes things like tortillas are too time-consuming, so I have to decide--convenience or lower calories/preservatives? With bread, I supplement. We like our Oatnut bread too much to give it up entirely. For me, it's a balance thing--what will keep our food budget down without wasting my time producing something that is cheaper to buy? Next up on the experiment list: freezer jam and peanut butter.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:24 pm

My mom makes an awesome strawberry freezer jam, I can get the recipe from her if you like.

And I have got to try peanut butter with honey roasted peanuts. That sounds amazing! I'd use peanut oil, but I never have it on hand. And I found a canola oil with added omega-3's in it, and I'm using that a lot, to help out the hubby's cholesterol issues.

I always make my own tomato sauce, but I'm Italian, I think if I bought Ragu or something from the store, I'd be kicked out of the family. :D Same for lasagna. Everyone raves about Stouffer's, but yeah, it can't hold a candle to mine.

AdamOndi, can you post your BBQ sauce recipe sometime? I have made it before, and my husband loves it, but I wouldn't mind trying a different recipe.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:38 am

I don't really follow a recipe for my BBQ sauce. I kind of wing it as I go along. But here are some good guidelines to start:

1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of molasses
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Chili powder to taste
Paprika to taste
Cumin to taste

Combine all of that in a sauce pan and cook over medium low heat for a while, stirring often, then reduce to low and let it do its thang, stirring occasionally, until all the flavors are melded and whatnot.

I have never really sat down and measured out what the best amounts of the spices are. I think I change my mind depending on the day, so it's all about tasting it as you go along to see if it has the right blend of kick, tang, sweetness, and richness.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 02 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm

How could I have forgotten about rolls? We don't have bread with dinner on a regular basis, and even when we do I make Bisquick biscuits, but for a holiday meal, I have to make rolls. I've been making Mashed Potato Rolls from the old, old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for a year or two now, and I think it's the best I've ever made.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 11:18 am

Pizza Crust
Mojo (Cuban marinade for pork)
Peanut Sauce
Choc Chip Cookies
Brownies
Cupcakes and icing

The bottom three are my wife and she is the BEST. Other than all of your recipes, which are the best also.

I once ground my own meat to make meatballs. It was very fun, and the raw meat smelled so fresh. It wasn't cost effective, so normally I buy the already ground variety.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 05:16 pm

I would like to request Adam's taco seasoning recipe and Lowdogg's peanut sauce recipe.

For me, I always make:

Pizza Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce
Marinades

I prefer homemade salsa, but the store bought ones are acceptable. However, store spaghetti sauce never seems to be acceptable to me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 05:22 pm

I make pizza dough, but I always use Hunt's spaghetti sauce (and add hamburger) because it's less than $1 a can. But then I don't love my spaghetti like I love good spaghetti, and I'm sure that's why. On the other hand, I can have spaghetti or pizza ready in 25 minutes, and I never have to plan ahead because I always have the ingredients on hand.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 08:05 pm

Do you make your pizza dough in that amount of time, too? Is it yeastless? Is it thin or fluffy? I prefer thin, but quick pizza dough of any kind interests me.

My pizza sauce recipe is a can of tomato paste with a can of tomato sauce. Then I dump in whatever spices I feel like at the time. I hardly ever use it all, so then a lot of times I use the remainder as a base for a spaghetti sauce later on.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 08:50 pm

My pizza dough requires no kneading and no rising, so yeah, it's about 25 minutes from start to finish. Well, not if you use bulk yeast that has to soften for five minutes. I guess it's really 30 in that case.

1 cup warm water
1 pkg. or Tbsp of yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
Soften together for five minutes. Stir in:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
Mix together with hands and spread in pan. Originally I was told NOT to grease the pan, but I do it anyway, but not clear to the edges. Top with sauce and cheese and stuff, and bake for 20 minutes at 400.

If you want thicker, fluffier crust, let it sit for a few minutes before putting in the oven. For thin, put it in right away.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 01:57 pm

I will look up the peanut sauce recipe and post it.

I use a bread machine to mix and knead the pizza dough. I don't love tomato sauce, so for pizza I use a thin layer of ricotta cheese. We then cook it on 500 on a pizza stone for 11 min.

Edited to add that I also love to make bbq chicken pizza. I also use whole milk mozzarella, which is soooo much better than part-skim.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:20 pm

Our Taco Seasoning, found somewhere on the interwebz.

1 TB chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper

Mix everything in a small bowl. We usually use this whole recipe for about a pound of meat. Brown the meat, then add the seasoning with 1/3 - 1/2 cup of water and let simmer for a bit.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Return to “Recipes”