Slow Carb Recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Lady Celtic

Slow Carb Recipes

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 02:54 pm

Because sometimes I need new ways to cook beans. :shock:

Though I did just fry up some chicken and lentils for a snack, with just oil and a little salt and pepper. THAT was delicious.

So, aside from soups and Mexican dishes and chili, how else do you all incorporate beans more? What sauces do you use to make them more palatable? And when you're feeling tired, what's your favorite protein snack? I'd love to know what you snack on besides nuts or something that's fried up in the moment. Sometimes I'd like to just be able to GRAB SOMETHING and eat, y'know?
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Re: Slow Carb Recipes

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 04:06 pm

I'd like to know that, too. The snack thing is the hardest part, for me.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 08 Nov, 2013 11:42 am

Dark chocolate has been my friend, as have peanuts. I know you're supposed to go easy on those things, and I only have them about once a day, a very small handful. But they save my sanity. Since I'm low glycemic, sometimes I'll eat a low to medium carb fruit, like an apple or a pear. My husband likes cottage cheese with berries and cinnamon and sliced almonds--or a protein shake with peanut butter. My diabetic likes baby carrots with ranch dressing to dip them in, or cucumber slices. Or she'll have apple slices with peanut butter. Hard boiled eggs are easy to prepare a dozen at a time, and keep well in the fridge. Just don't put them in the spot in the fridge that freezes everything, because they don't thaw well. Not that I would know that from personal experience. :oops:

Hope that gives you some ideas, Momma!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 Nov, 2013 12:20 pm

I eat a handful of almonds nearly every day, and that helps. I also have Hershey's sugar-free dark chocolate. I know the artificial sweeteners aren't good, so I don't know if I'd be better off eating a small amount of regular dark chocolate, but this is what I have right now. When I was actually losing weight, being strict with this diet, I didn't eat either one. It is really hard to get going again after taking several weeks off, because I am such a glutton. I know that if I would take just one week off from any sweets at all, I'd be fine, especially after a great Cheat Day, but I so far haven't been able to do that. I'm not going to get down on myself, though. I'm still down in the mid-170s, where I never ever thought I'd be, and maintaining is sometimes harder than getting there in the first place.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 04:25 pm

I'm really bad at eating. And by that I mean I love carbs and sugar, and my food habits are nearly uncontrollable. Maybe it's because I never leave my house (except to by groceries and go to church) and the food is readily available, and I have to work which means I want something to eat that doesn't involve much prep (hello cold cereal!).

That being said, there are times when I can convince myself that a little Babybel cheese is the perfect snack. And I love pistachios and almonds--problem is I eat more than a handful.

I want to know about the beans. How does one incorporate more beans into meals, especially breakfast? Ideeezz? Jeff?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 10 Nov, 2013 09:12 am

I eat a handful of almonds every day, too. As of my last handful last night, I am paid up in advance until February 17, 2014.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 12:20 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I know how to do the beans thing! I love beans and they're a great meat stretcher, so I've been incorporating them into our recipes for years. I chop them in my food processor and mix them with our meat--white beans for curries and some chicken dishes, black beans for anything with tomato sauce or ground beef--or blend them up and use them to replace half the eggs in our oven pancakes or pumpkin pancakes. And they're great in soups. I use an immersion blender to puree them and thicken the soup. My favorite is rosemary white bean soup with ham (take the ham out BEFORE pureeing, or the texture gets uber-weird).

BUT that's all I know how to do with beans. Sometimes I think I could do more. Different soup/stew recipes, etc. I've started scouring cookbooks lately--it's been a real learning curve. Even Glycemic Index Cooking for Dummies book wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be, nor are the 4-Hour Body websites, because I have to cover a broad range of tastes and picky-ness, and 4HB just doesn't quite do it.

However, then there are lentils. Over at Stone Soup, she has this fabulous lentil ragu that my whole family LOVES, especially when I add ground beef (scroll to the bottom of the post for the link). Or I'll cook up red lentils in chicken broth and use that in place of rice for some of our chicken dinners. I like her blog, and she has some great lentil recipes. Some bean ones too.

I've been reading cookbooks and cooking blogs a LOT since I started this thread, and it's all starting to come together for me. Mostly, the reality of incorporating more veggies into our diet has been staring me in the face, taunting me, because our favorite recipes don't really include a lot of veg. And The Hub is not extremely fond of "exotic" veggies, like sweet potatoes or dried beans, but he puts on a brave face and eats it in front of the children. :D I think I *might* be getting the hang of it, though. I just have to get everybody in the family on board. *SIGH*

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 10:14 am

I've been wanting to try this recipe, and it sure loks slow carb to me, so if someone gets to try it before I do, let me know if it's any good.

Crunchy Curried Chickpeas

2 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed & dried
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, mix to coat chickpeas evenly.

Divide the chickpeas evenly on the two baking sheets. Roast for 30 minutes, rotating the pans after 15 minutes. Serve hot immediately, or cool & store for later munching.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 11:12 am

I have never bought chickpeas, but I might try this.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 02:48 pm

I had everything for these in my pantry, so I went ahead & made them. I'm munching them now, still hot. A few notes.

I added a couple shakes of paprika. Don't know why, just seemed too "plain" with just curry powder. I expected my house to smell like an Indian restaurant . It doesn't. For some reason they took on a barbecue smell, and my house smells like a really good rib joint instead. They took on a barbecue taste as well.

They didn't turn crunchy like I expected, they're still on the soft & chewy side, and I'm thinking of all kinds of flavor combinations to try, like lemon pepper, or ginger soy. And I'm having a hard time stopping myself from munching more, even though the first few bites burnt my tongue. So, that is a success!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 04:11 pm

I think I have some curry powder, but the only recipe I've used it in was a chicken and cheese thing, and it really didn't agree with me. I liked it while I was eating it, but once I was finished I wished I hadn't, if that makes any sense. Too rich or something. Anyway, now all I have to buy is the chickpeas. I will probably add pepper, because I like it, and might use less olive oil, because I don't especially. I think it will be a great snack, and snacking is what I do.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 10:33 am

I'm back on this thread because I'm trying again, or still, or whatever. I think I mentioned one of our favorite dinners on another thread, but because it's slow-carb, I'll put it here, too. The name has evolved into Four Bean. I cook chicken (or hamburger or ground turkey) and cut it up and mix it with about four cans of beans. One is always black beans, and then I use an assortment of others, white beans or kidney beans or pinto beans or even refried beans. Jeff adds jalapenos, but I usually just add some jalapeno juice from the jar, and some taco seasoning or chili powder and cumin or whatever. I also add a can of diced tomatoes. I try to make enough that I have it for lunch the following day. Rocky and Chris eat it with tortilla chips, but I avoid them, obviously.

While we have tortilla chips, though, I also make taco salad sometimes. I think that's what's for dinner tonight. It's not hard for me to skip the chips.

Return to “Recipes”