7 Layer Pasta Salad

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

7 Layer Pasta Salad

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:19 pm

I haven't tried or posted a new recipe in a long time, and really, I've got enough basic recipes in my brain that I'm not often interested in trying one. But a coworker brought this the other day, and it is SO GOOD.
There are many many many things I will do I little more simply, but I'll tell you exactly what it says.
Kosher salt
8 oz. farfalle
2 stalks broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
juice of 1 lime
freshly ground pepper
2 diced avocados
12 oz deli ham, diced
8 oz shredded cheear
1 small head romaine
2 tomatoes, diced

Cook the pasta about 2 minutes less than usual (al dente) adding the broccoli in the last 4 minutes. Drain, rinse (which other chefs would slap you for doing) and remove the broccoli (???) and pat dry.
Whisk mayo, buttermilk, chives, parsley, half of the lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Toss the pasta and a few tablespoons of the dressing in a medium bowl.

Assemble the salad: Toss the avocados with the remaining lime juice in a large glass serving bowl and season with salt; arrange in an even layer. Top with layers of ham, broccoli, pasta, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Drizzle some of the remaining dressing on top and sprinkle with more chives, or cover and refrigerate the salad and dressing separately up to six hours.

First of all, I don't see why it has to be layered. It makes for a prettier presentation, though, so if that's important, there it is. I'm more about taste, and the taste is perfection. I don't do freshly ground pepper, so mine will be regular. If I'm using only broccoli florets anyway, I might use frozen, although since I'd have to buy the buttermilk and chives and parsley and lime and deli ham and avocados and romaine, might as well buy broccoli, too.

Did I say how good it is? Hmmm...I wonder how it would be with diced chicken instead of ham? I think the saltiness of the ham contributed to the overall perfection, though.

quidscribis

Re: 7 Layer Pasta Salad

Postby quidscribis » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:59 pm

Now I'm thinking I should make a pasta salad. It's been a looooong time since I've had one. Or made one. But no ham. And not that much broccoli. Romaine? I've never put lettuce in a pasta salad. Huh. Okay...
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Re: 7 Layer Pasta Salad

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 09:30 am

Yeah, I thought the Romaine was kind of weird, too, but it worked.

Return to “Recipes”