Cooking Class Help

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:14 am

Zannah- You're very welcome. I'm glad you like the site and, more importantly, the recipes. (And to think...I thought that site was a hoax. Image) I haven't personally tried that recipe but by the sounds of it, it turned out delicious.Image I'll have to give it a try. Care to share your pita bread recipe? I want to taste the same experience you and your roommates had.

*whispers in Zannah's ear, "I think you are great, too. I'm whispering it because some people think I'm partial to people whose nicknames start with Z."*

Zannah

Postby Zannah » Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:49 am

Really Yummy Pita Bread (or as the receipe calls it, Pita Bread):

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 c. warm water
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cornmeal

In large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of the water. Mix thoroughly and let stand 5 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble. Add flour, olive oil, salt and remaining water; stir until well combined. Dough should be firm, but not stiff. Add more water; if needed (and it probably will be). Knead dough until smooth and elastic; shape into a ball and place in greased bowl. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size. Punch down; divide into 4 equal parts. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes. Sprinkle 2 (4 is a little better) large baking sheets with cornmeal. Roll each ball into an 8-inch circle, not more than 1/8-inch thick. Arrange on baking sheets. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes (or even longer). Bake at 500 degrees on lower shelf for 7 - 8 minutes or until puffed and brown. Remove, wrap each loaf in foil and set aside. Bread will fall, leaving a shallow pocket of air in center. Serve warm or toasted

For the spinach-artichoke dip, I just cut them into triangular pieces and arranged them on a plate surrounding a bowl of the dip. Really really really good...

jebelmuus

Postby jebelmuus » Sun 21 Sep, 2003 12:28 pm

Also, rolling the dough thinner and cooking it on a pizza stone can give the pita that extra Bedouin appeal.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Mon 22 Sep, 2003 12:11 am

Thanks, Zannah, for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, jebel. Having the proper presentation does give an air of authenticity.

*smiles warmly at both*

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:38 pm

*bump*

Momma Snider

Re: Cooking Class Help

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:33 pm

Bump again.

I learned something last night about cheesecakes and why they crack. I was reading a recipe for a chocolate cheesecake on Joy of Cooking, and they said there are two reasons cracking happens: either too much beating, or cooking too long so it dries out. I'm pretty sure I usually do both.

Have the cream cheese at room temperature so it doesn't need much beating. (My own tip with that is take it out of its wrapper before letting it reach room temperature, so you don't get annoyed trying to scrape it off.) Basically beat the whole thing as little as possible, to avoid incorporating any more air than you have to.

It's done when it still jiggles. I've always been afraid to take it out at that point, because I have visions of it falling all over the place when it's cut. But it continues to set up as it cools, so it should be fine.

We'll see in about a half hour, when we cut it.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:13 pm

Sounds so good! Anything with cream cheese is fine, in my book.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:56 pm

It was good, very good flavor, but doesn't have the extremely creamy texture of Cheesecake Factory chocolate cheesecake. I don't know what to do about that. It was decent texture, just not quite perfect.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 09:16 am

Momma Snider wrote:It was good, very good flavor, but doesn't have the extremely creamy texture of Cheesecake Factory chocolate cheesecake. I don't know what to do about that. It was decent texture, just not quite perfect.

I suspect the Cheesecake Factory cheats and adds a lot more fat to get it all super creamy like that.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Return to “Recipes”