New Thanksgiving recipes

Is it incongruous that a board with a "Hot Body Weight Loss Contest" also demanded a recipes forum to help each other get fat? I cannot see how.

Moderators: Eric's Moderator Brother, Sara without the H

SDR

Re: New Thanksgiving recipes

Postby SDR » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 10:13 pm

We basically skipped Thanksgiving last year. My son was in Wyoming with his mother. It's looking like we'll be hosting her whole fam dangily. :) I can't wait for my wife's stress levels to go through the roof! I might just have to move out to the travel trailer that week.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 04:25 pm

We're having an early Thanksgiving with the in-laws, since my sister-in-law (who lives 13 hours away) is scheduled to have her c-section the day after Thanksgiving and my MIL would like to be there to help. I've been asked to come up with a yam dish, dessert, and clever place markers. :D I'm going to make an apple crisp and maybe an apple cranberry crisp, and I've got the place markers covered, but I am STUMPED by the yam dish. I don't like the sickly sweet yam dishes, the one where you add a cup of sugar and top it with marshmallows, but I don't want to completely rock their world by bringing a sweet potato curry or something (though that would be my preference). Does anyone have a favorite yam--or sweet potato!--recipe they'd like to share?
You're unique, just like everyone else!

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 05:14 pm

My personal favorite sweet potato / yam dishes are those served in whatever location I am not at. But that's not helpful, so sorry.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 06:57 pm

I don't know about your family, but in my family if someone said to bring the yams, they'd mean the traditional type. You don't have to put a lot of sugar on them, just a sprinkling with some butter. You don't even have to put the marshmallows on top. I do when my DIL is going to be here, but I don't if she's not.

My MIL just baked them whole and the two of us who ate them put butter on them, like a baked potato.

Whatever you do, don't fall for the cilantro and lime juice recipe. That was horrible, and I still don't understand why my friend made them that way when she knew we were all looking forward to traditional yams.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 06:01 pm

Yams with cilantro and lime? That's just... Um... Wow. Nope, won't be making that...

If I were doing things my way, I'd definitely curry the yams. Coconut milk, garlic and onion (but only a little bit), chilli powder, a few curry leaves, and cook until they're soft. That's what I do with pumpkin and it's so good!
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 11:43 am

For some reason that I haven't yet figured out, most of the Thai restaurants here in Utah County offer pumpkin curry, something I've never seen at any Thai place anywhere else. I absolutely love it, but it's a different experience than pumpkin anything else. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookie, pumpkin cupcakes, etc., all taste like pumpkin/cloves/whatever-else-you-put-in-them. In pumpkin curry, you just get a hint of the flavor.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if someone was assigned to bring a pumpkin dish for Thanksgiving and they brought a pumpkin curry, I'd punch them in the face (and steal the pumpkin curry and eat it all).

But I bet yams in curry would be amazing. But not for Thanksgiving.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 11:54 am

Hm. I like the idea of pumpkin curry. But then again, I love most curries. Maybe I'll make two dishes, and then I don't have to eat the sweet stuff! Though the thought of just a little sugar with butter, baked, is very appealing, Momma.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 12:35 pm

No cloves in my pumpkin pie! I do not like cloves. I'm not crazy about curry, either, but I have only had it in a couple of chicken dishes, and it may have been the combination that didn't work for me.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 07:07 pm

My brother in law made pumpkin hummus a few years ago at Thanksgiving, and I love it! With warm pita bread, it's fantastic! If anyone's interested, I'm sure I've got the recipe around here somewhere...
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 01:31 am

My mom has made a yam dish that has mashed yams spread on the bottom of a pan with a pecan and brown sugar streusel-like topping. It's super yummy and the only way I've only like yams or sweet potatoes.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 01:33 am

Oh yeah, we're doing Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle in Roseville, about an hour away. It should be fun. We enjoy cooking all the traditional foods and desserts. I'm not sure what our assignments are yet, though.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 07:51 am

This year, Thanksgiving is with my parents, which is great because my mom is an awesome cook, plus she won't hear of anyone else bringing anything, so I get to relax and just stuff my face. :D

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 09:35 am

KMD, I miss those days! A lot! and Lisa, that sounds really good, with the pecans and brown sugar, really really good!

It's looking like there will only be five of us for thanksgiving now. My sister's MIL has been kind of reclusive for several years, and hasn't even allowed my sister to visit, although she'll allow her son, Beth's husband. They had been alternating years between her and us for years, but when she wouldn't go to their house any more or let them go to her house, they always come here. But this year Matt thinks he might be able to talk her into at least going out to dinner with them, so obviously that's where they need to be.

I'm thinking we should invite someone else, someone who might not have family nearby, but I know that I would rather stay home, personally, than go to someone's house with their family just to eat turkey. But there are lonely people who would appreciate it, so I'll keep my eyes open. Because our basic everyday family plus Margrit would just be too weird.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 10:00 am

If I were nearby without family, I'd gladly accept an offer of turkey with your family. I'm sure that means there must be someone near you that would, too!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:29 am

"Good" news. My sister's MIL said she doesn't want them to fight traffic to go visit her or take her out to dinner on Thanksgiving. I think she probably just doesn't want to go out, and I don't think she likes my sister much, although she used to. So instead they'll fight HORRIBLE traffic to come to our house, but I'm not the one who told them to live in Irvine!

And I'm asking her to make the Waldorf salad, because the people who would be upset by anything different don't eat it anyway. I eat it, but I'm okay with different ingredients as long as they're not yucky, like leftover jack-o-lantern pie.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:26 am

Well, I called my mom and asked the perfunctory "what can I bring?" And she basically wants me to bring desserts. So, I'm making apple pie, berry pie, choc chip cookies and spritz cookies. Before anyone gets all "whither the pumpkin pie? Infidel! " on me, my mom is making a pumpkin trifle instead. As a group, we like pumpkin, but not so much pumpkin pie.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:46 am

Pumpkin trifle sounds good! I love the pie, though, if it's made with evaporated milk and regular Libby's canned pumpkin, and no cloves. My sister always brings cherry-apple pie, too, which is a really, really good breakfast on the day after. I used to eat it before rushing out to the sales, but now I eat it before starting the Christmas decorating. Homey don't do sales anymore.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:24 pm

Momma, you'd love my pumpkin. I don't add cloves to anything. Or star anise or cassia (which is sold as cinnamon nearly everywhere but Sri Lanka) - they make me really ill. Sri Lankan cinnamon, which is true cinnamon, I'm good with and it tastes better than cassia anyway, so I use that. :)

Anyway.

So we went meat shopping today at Mustafa's, which is where we usually buy our meat, and what did I find? They're selling turkey parts. They usually have whole turkeys and whole ducks, so the appearance of turkey is not unusual. It's that they're selling cut up bits of turkey, which I can totally get into. I have no use for a 25 pound turkey, but a couple of turkey legs? A kilo of cut up curryable turkey parts? Turkey gizzard? Oh, yeah, baby!

So tomorrow, I'm currying turkey parts. It really has nothing to do with American thanksgiving except that everyone else is talking about turkey in here, so I figured this is where it would go... :D
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:29 pm

For the first time since I've been doing Thanksgiving at my house, I'm not responsible for about half of the meal. I only have to do the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, rolls, chocolate pie, and a birthday cake. My sister is bringing corn casserole, stuffed celery, Waldorf salad, cherry apple pie, pumpkin pie, olives, cranberry sauce, and the whipped cream.

The birthday cake is because my husband invited his barber, who otherwise would be home alone, and her birthday is sometime around then. She likes white cake with white frosting. Then we have Chris' birthday on the 28th and Emily's on the 30th, so we'll probably have yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Lots of cake and leftovers, I hope!

Return to “Recipes”